&%#@(*&^%$@)#!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I may be here awhile.

The Garmin radome is dead as a doornail. I've got power at the deck level connector so there may be a problem with the silly Garmin connector under the antenna, which I wouldn't trust on the back of a desktop computer. There is some resistance across the contacts going up the mast so it may be the antenna itself. Whichever, it's going to be expensive enough sending someone up the mast or taking the rig down again that I may have to wait a month or two for the bank balance to build up a bit.

The litany of things is getting pretty impressive. Let's see....

The wheel brake on my Edson steering pedestal froze up so badly I could barely turn the knob. The nylon bearing sleeve had evidently swollen. Edson says they never had anything like that happen before. Sent me a new bearing free. That was nice of them.

I had a holding tank built by someone who had done beautiful work for me before, has a great reputation, and a shop full of great looking stuff. The workmanship was a joke and still leaking after the second trip back to them when I gave up. They worked on it for weeks.

I went to the best tank fabricator in the area and they had a beautiful tank for me less than a day later except that it leaked. They fixed it. It's in the boat and it's fine. I'm probably the only person they ever delivered a leaky tank to.

The bearings on my Cape Horn wind vane wore out after three short seasons of coastal sailing. Big replacement job. Cape Horn sent me new ones for free. They said they have never had a set wear out before, even after circumnavigations.

The holding tank monitor didn't work. I spent hours trying to calibrate it and figure out what was wrong. They assured me that every one is tested before it's shipped and 90% of their problems are wiring mistakes by the installer. Finally, the engineer had me check voltage between two wires and there was .04 volts where there should be 9.5. New monitor works fine and I'm sure I'm the only one they ever shipped a dead one to.

My Victron battery monitor was DOA. After a few hours troubleshooting and removing it from the boat, I was able to discover that the data cable sockets were slightly out of spec so the contact was flakey. New monitor sent under warranty works fine. I'm sure I'm the only one this has happened to.

I guess the boatbuilder dropping another boat on the one under construction for my girlfriend doesn't count as a delay factor anymore. It's completion was the primary determinant of my departure date until this morning. I expect she'll be putting next season's paint on it before I get out of here at this rate.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Roger,

If you need someone to go up the spar let me know. I have no issues going up on the hard provided the stand are well adjusted. Probably the network connection or 12V connection under the dome..

Nov 22, 2008
If you need someone to go up the spar let me know.
Many thanks for the offer but I'm not even going to ask the yard about that idea. I'll either have to get her launched and deal with it or have them do it.

I'm pretty sure it's the 12 V power since I used to be able to hear the antenna spinning when it was quiet and I don't hear anything putting my ear up against the mast. Another use for the battery monitor: no change in amp draw when I turn on the radar antenna.

Do you know what ohms I should be seeing across the radome connnections? It's not an open circuit and it would help to have some idea whether it's just a connector problem or if the issue is inside the dome.

The thing I don't want to do is just have someone go up and wiggle the connector and have it come back to life. I can then count on it quitting again somewhere in the traffic lanes of the Bay of Fundy in 6 foot visibility.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Roger,
I was just thinking about your electrical woes and it seems like more than a coincidence. There was an electrical storm about a week or so ago, any chance a surge or near stike effected your boat?
All U Get
Hope things turn around soon, I don't want you to miss sailing around in the fog and rain. Do you need more muscle to crank Maine Sail up the mast?

Nov 22, 2008
any chance a surge or near stike effected your boat?
No lightning since the mast went up. All the other delicate stuff on the boat works. I doubt that the electric motor in the radome could have been killed without all those integrated circuits being fried.

I'm sure my marina would never let me send friends up the mast on their property. Maybe if I get the boat in the water I'll gratefully take you both up on it. However, I would need to replace my halyards first. They are sufficient for another season and I've got to cauterize the money hemorrhage at some point. I wouldn't send a person aloft on them though.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.