13 HP Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck Willett

Hi,I am currently thinking of buying an "87 Catalina 30 which haS A 13 hp diesel engine.I have heard that this is underpowered and newer boats now have 23-27 hp.Does any one have experience operating one these and how would you rate the performance of the engine-especially in rough seas.I would certainly appreciate any info,Thanks,Chuck

B

BW

Engine Size

I have an 88 C30 TR with a 23 hp engine. I sail on Lake Erie and with the lack of wind this Summer, I used the engine more than I wanted to (which is never!). During those times I wished I had a bigger engine. In 20 winds, I use about half to 3/4 throttle just to make headway. On calm days she can push 7 to 8 knots cruising speed at 3/4 throttle. I have not sailed a 30 with a smaller engine so I do not have a reference point, but if I were buying another 30 I would get the biggest engine I could. Hope that helps. BW

R

Ron

My 30 has the Universal Diesel 5411. Yes, it is underpowered. Yes, I wish it were bigger. Yes, I love my boat and the little engine that "could". It sips fuel, can push the boat 6 knts. (calm seas) (no headwind) I really have not had any problem going anywhere I want. If I have much wind, guess what! My sails are up and the engine is off. I guess there is a reason Catalina put larger engines in the 30's. Enjoy...

B

Bob Camarena

13?

I didn't know that Catalina had a 13hp engine. Are you sure? I thought that all of the later 80's boats had the 23hp Universal. The earlier 80's boats had the 11hp Universal 5411.

Status
Not open for further replies.