12 volt fuel pump

Feb 16, 2015
I I have just recently purchased a Catalina 31 2000 build with a universal engine and fuel tank in the locker on the transom , having problems on the delivery trip home with the 12 volt fuel pump
1 do people still use this pump ?
2 the pump runs all the time will get hot?
3 my machine would like to move this pump to the tank so it pushers the fuel not sucks ?

4 any one else had problems with this pump ?

Cheers mat

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I I have just recently purchased a Catalina 31 2000 build with a universal engine and fuel tank in the locker on the transom , having problems on the delivery trip home with the 12 volt fuel pump
3 my machine would like to move this pump to the tank so it pushers the fuel not sucks ?

Cheers mat
check you vent and also check and clean you pick up tube in the tank ....and look for any kinks or mashed fuel lines going from tank to engine...... also insure that the tank is higher in elevation than the pump ei, make sure the pump is below the tank.... if possible so it takes advantage of the siphon effect if all that fails you may have to move the pump as they do push better than they pull but no matter what make sure all the other things are corrected first

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I picked up a new pump at NAPA for a reasonable cost on my 2001 310. No problems after installing new pump in stock location (and clean filters).

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I picked up a new pump at NAPA for a reasonable cost on my 2001 310. No problems after installing new pump in stock location (and clean filters).
Same for me. I change the fuel filters about twice a year. But I put 300-400 hours per year on the motor.

Cheers,
Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Mat, I believe you have a Catalina 310. What Universal engine? Most likely an M25XPB.

1. Yes. It's on almost if not all inboard engine Catalina sailboats of that size

2. No, it won't get hot, because the diesel fuel lubricates and cools the pump as part of the design. If it does get hot, it means it is either failing or the screen in the bottom has not been cleaned. In many cases, Catalina plumbed it wrong, by having the pump before the secondary filter. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg32616.html#msg32616 You should read the rest of the items on that link, many of them relate to your engine. You should also read the C310 section of this website which has great info, too.

3. Your "machine would like..." Not sure I understand this one. The tank comes first, then the primary, then the pump then the engine. See #2.

4. Rarely, they last a long time. Resources for replacement have been mentioned, auto store is the least expensive for a Facet replacement, and there's always this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2515.msg32522.html#msg32522

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
you dont mention what kind of problem you had specifically with the pump, but we can only assume that whatever it was, it didnt allow the fuel to get to the engine in sufficient quantity...

are you certain its a faulty fuel pump or could it actually be something other than the fuel pump that caused this?

no matter if its electric or a mechanical engine driven pump. if the filters are clogged, they wont pass fuel.

Feb 16, 2015
Thanks for every one help it been great
Bottom line looks like I should check the in take hose in the tank
Install the new pump after the filter
All so my machine had I dear of putting in two tapes in the fuel system so if the pump packed it in . I could by pass the pump and have a finger pump to start the flow .

Besides this small problem I am very happy with the Catalina and look forward to cruising when I get the boat home
Cheers mat

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
All so my machine had I dear of putting in two tapes in the fuel system so if the pump packed it in . I could by pass the pump and have a finger pump to start the flow .
im sure this must mean something, but try as i might, I cannot break the code...

if you would take a few seconds to read your post before sending, you would probably be able to convey to us what you are actually thinking, rather than just letting your fingers send us whatever they want to:D:D:D