12 v versus 110v

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

A previous owner of our boat (82 H27) installed bulkhead mounted 110v lamps in the main cabin and V-berth. These fixtures need to be replaced. Anyone have insights concerning the pros and cons of staying with 110 versus 12v? Obviously the 12 could be used away from shore power. Also, I believe that 12v fixtures and bulbs have improved over the last 20 years. The major concern is reading light for which the standard 12 volt lights on this particular boat are marginal at best. thoughts, comment, recommendations? Andy "Baroque"
 
M

Mike Webster

If you want good, bright, low current . . .

quality lights in your boat, try Alpenglow lights. They were invented many years ago by a guy out west that lived about 100k from the nearest power line. They give exceptional light for the amount of current draw, are high quality, and look good in the boat. Not cheap, but worth the expense. Try the link below.
 
S

Steve Zweigart

LED's the future of lighting

Look into the LED options now available. There are even 110 screw-in "heads" containing several LED's with very low current draw (see Levenger.com). I believe within the next few years, we will see amazing advancements in the LED field. My boat has all first-generation LED 12v lighting. Very effective, and great on power drain. Only drawback I see on these first-generation units is that they cast a blue hue which takes a little getting used to. Newer bulbs are "whiter". I look forward to converting to LED nav lights when more come on the market a little cheaper. Happy sailing to all!
 
B

bill

12 volt lights,

you could use 12 volt light bulbs i hear there up to 60 watts,and then you could use halogon 12 volt bulbs,nice ,brite and a 20 watt halogon is very brite,and would use less than the 60 watt,bill&judy
 
K

KJ

12v bulbs that fit 110v recepticles

If you like the appearace of the 110v light keep it. Rewire the connections to the battery and use 50 watt 12v bulbs available at most stores. They run about $6 for a pair, and fit into standard 110v recepticles. I replaced the cabin lights in my boat. I bought three very attractive wall light fixtures from IKEA, rewired and used 12v bulbs. Total cost $20. After a year, no signs of rust or corrosion
 
K

KJ

12v bulbs that fit 110v recepticles

If you like the appearace of the 110v light keep it. Rewire the connections to the battery and use 50 watt 12v bulbs available at most stores. They run about $6 for a pair, and fit into standard 110v recepticles. I replaced the cabin lights in my boat. I bought three very attractive wall light fixtures from IKEA, rewired and used 12v bulbs. Total cost $20. After a year, no signs of rust or corrosion
 
R

Russell

I was disappointed in Alpenglow

We bought one of their cluster bulbs to try it in our 12V bayonet lamps. It was the most expensive light bulb I have ever purchased. It may have drawn low amps, but it also was dim. We had to turn on one of the incandescent bulbs, or the kerosene lantern, if we wanted to see. We didn't buy a second. This was three or four years past, so their technology might have improved since.
 
A

Al

12 volt lights

ABI makes a very nice and moderately priced reading light with a 20 watt Xenon bulb that puts out quite a bit of light. I've used them before and I'm installing them on the boat I've just bopught. Much more light than an incandescent 12 volt bulb. Question: The 12 volt round cabin top fixtures are in great shape physically. Is there any way to retrofit them with Xenon or halogen bulbs?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.