11th Hour Question-Line Cutter and Feathering Prop

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Stidger

Now I did it. I went and bought a Martec feathering prop for my 40.5. Now with only a week to the big splash I'm thinking that perhaps I ought to also put on a line cutter. I sail in eastern Long Island Sound where lobster pots are plentiful. Often, these are short-scoped so that the float is actually under water when a current is running. While picking up a line with a fixed prop has never resulted in any damage, I am thinking that a feathering prop with its moving parts could be much more un-forgiving with such an encounter. OK, experts out there - Opinions please. Also, regarding line cutters, the 'Spurs' are well known but I sense are not 'off-the-shelf' items. I have seen a cutter that is simply a sharp ring that is secured around the shaft in front of the prop. Does anyone know about these? Who makes them and where are they available and are they effective? Thanks in advance for your inputs. Rich

J

Jim Vincent

Spurs

Rich, I've got a '93 40.5 with a 3 blade fixed prop and "spurs". i've owned the boat now for a year. i sailed it from Miami to Houston and now sail Galveston Bay with it's many crab traps. Do the spurs work??? who knows, ...i can tell you this much, if they did'nt work, and i ran over a crab trap, i could tell you !!! also i believe they are "over the counter". i've got paperwork at the boat, if your interested e-mail me, i'm in the HOW directory. take care, Jim Vincent, Toucan

Status
Not open for further replies.