110s saildrive & Volvo diesel removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2013
Jaguar 27 Punta Gorda florida
Hi Gang, I'm wanting to remove the circa 1980 diesel from the 110s saildrive while she's dockside in the water. Can this be done without risk of taking on water. Thanks, mangolatitudes

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
saildrives can be funny creatures. They keep the bilge bone dry and they have a lot of positives. One of the big negatives is if you somehow unseat the drive it most likely will be a catastrophic failure (my opinion). A diesel is a lot of weight to be moving around. If something happened and you managed to drop it on part of the saildrive or << insert accident phrase here>> you could unseat the seal and be the proud owner of a new artificial reef. Some call me a pessimist. I like to think I'm a realist. That said....I believe it can be done as you describe but think you should think about a haul out if your replacing an engine like that. Good luck with your project in either case. We're here for moral support.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
It can be done, but like njsail says, you'd need to carefully fabricate and install a brace for the leg to keep it from moving when you remove the engine. The saildrive is supported on three engine mounts, one aft of the leg, and two on the engine..When the engine is gone that would leave only one mount (flexible) for the leg, not enough to keep it in place, in my opinion. I wouldn't .

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Tighten up the dock lines and add a few more in case of flooding at least maybe you can keep the boat from sinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.