110 or 135 genoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2012
Catalina 30 San Pedro
Does anyone know where I can find a used 110 or 135 furling genoa #6 foil?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Mar 29, 2010
catalina 30' 1991 Long Beach CA
you could try T/A sails in Wilmington; nice & close to you;
I got a nice 110 from there for a v. reasonable price;
Ty is a great guy to to deal w/;
222 W "D" st. ph: 310 518 2841.

Jun 28, 2012
Catalina 30 San Pedro
Thank you all.

I found a great guy from Hyde Sails, Harry O, that cut a sail down for me. Just opened a loft in San Pedro.

Jim

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check Minney's first. It is within driving distact. Then Sail Warehouse in Monterey, but there are other options like Bacon on the other coast ,

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you go to Minney's....... know that it is NOT a sail loft, but a surplus/salvage store. There may be someone there who can give you sail advice..... but you should know your boat's sail dimensions and understand how to evaluate a used sail. If you're thinking of buying a sail and having it re cut to fit your boat, a consultation with your favorite sail loft is in order.

I suspect you know very little about sails..... or you would not have asked the question. Do a little research by visiting some sailmaker websites.... they're pretty informative... to learn more about measuring, fitting, cloth types, etc. The aforementioned "thesailwarehouse.com" will help you ..... or try googling "sailmakers in southern calfornia" or "sail lofts in so. cal."

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Of course knowledge comes with experience, so I wouldn't belittle someone for asking for advice. I'm always a lil' wary of buying used sails. Because unless they came from a boat that was parted out, another sailor traded or got rid of that sail, probably because there was something wrong with it. Maybe the sail they had was too big or didn't fit right (ie: the foot was too low or a 150 genoa might be too big) but I would look closely at the sailcloth & make sure its not worn out. Its also hard to determine whether a sail has lost its shape from being overtentioned by a halyard by someone overzealous on a halyard winch. I would also inspect the outer U.V. Cover on a genoa very carefully. If the cover is worn out it can cost many hundred of dollars to replace it. Unless you're on a really tight budget, I would save money for a NEW sail, that will last a lot longer, give you better performance under sail, & a better investment. When shopping for new sails look closely at the oz. weight of the sail cloth. You may not need heavy offshore sailcloth, but lighter weight sails will not be as durable. Most sails have a good working life of 10+ years, but I've had good quality North Sails on my last boat that were over 20 years old & still performed well. I also like UK Halsey & Ullman sails for durability. The problem with a local sail loft is that its hard to compare them to the big lofts in terms of quality. Sails are so expensive that I would place my bet on a sail from a well known loft. When it comes to sails, you really do get what you pay for.

Jun 28, 2012
Catalina 30 San Pedro
The price was quite reasonable. Maybe a little more than a surplus sail, but it was a fraction of a new one, with the benefit that it was cut just the way I wanted it. I wanted a sail slightly smaller than a off-the-shelf 135 with a raised tack for better visibility. The down side... I had to wait until the right sail showed up that could be cut.

If you have your boat in the San Pedro area, I highly recommend Harry O of Hyde Sails for sail repairs or new/used sails. His inventory of used sails is nothing like Minnies but you could get something close from Minnies and have Hyde cut it to fit.

Jun 28, 2012
Catalina 30 San Pedro
I forgot to mention that he put on a brand new white sunbrella cover [included in the price and not many hundreds of dollars].

Status
Not open for further replies.