1-2-Both switched OFF at Idle

Jun 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Chatahoochee Sail Club
Well meaning passenger switched the 1-2-Both batter selector switch to OFF while the engine was idling. At the time we were preparing to leave dock and the batteries (2 x 12v) were at full charge from being on shore power. The switch was in OFF only a minute or two before I noticed it. I have a NOCO Mini Gen 2 battery charger wired in too. I fear my Honda 9.9 engine alternator or anodes are fried but don't know for certain. All electrics, accessories etc seem fine. Thoughts? Catalina 25. Thanks

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A quick check would be to turn some electrical loads on in the boat then start the engine while monitoring battery voltage. It should go up after you start the engine.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As Darcy stated, take a multimeter turned to DC voltage. Hold the red and black leads on the corresponding battery posts and record the voltage (should be 12.2-12.7 volts). Then start the engine and do the same test again after the engine has run for two minutes. The reading should now be higher than before (13.5-14.4 volts).

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Outboard motor. Probably fine.. most of those are designed to not have batteries connected. When you check volts as previous post, you will have to rev the motor to a medium rpm ( 3000 ish RPM) to see any output.