fresh water impeller

Jun 25, 2012
catalina 350mk11 Rock Hall MD
Years ago when I bough my O'Day 30 I was told at a diesel class to replace the fresh water pump impeller once a year. After looking at the condition of the impeller I went to every other year. Now owning a Catalina 350 I think replacement should be based on the number of engine hours. I have heard 200, 300, even 500 hrs. Any thoughts?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I used to do every year. I skipped a year and when I opened this spring vanes were missing and I had to go searching for them. Back to every year.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Have you considered the Speed Seal Life?

No connection, just a happy user.......

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Would that be an M35? Many skippers change them yearly, by taking them out before winter layup. Many do it by engine hours. On my M25 I've had it in for a few seasons and is due for replacement, I'd have to go look up the hours, probably around 250. Don't buy Globe impellers and if you don't have one yet,put in an Oberdorfer. I have a link to the swapout of a Sherwood, not working right now, but I'll get it to you fi you need it. Let me know.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
and don't use antifreeze in the raw water cooling system to winterize unless you take the impeller out. The anti makes the rubber brittle.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I'm not an authority on the subject. Don't do as I do, only analyze the following facts:

The last impeller was in there from Sep, 2011 till April, 2014. No change in eye-observed water flow, no change in the impeller condition when removed vs the new one I replaced it with. At least, not that I could tell. I flicked the vanes around, pulled on it, stuck my eyeballs up to it, chewed on it, sniffed it. Looked the same.

I used the engine every weekend during the on-season weather-permitting, and a couple during the off. Also, I start the engine at lease once during the long part of winter inactivity, then re-introduce the anti-freeze. Boat stayed in the water last 3 winters, with the pump full of AF. I'll have to haul it this coming winter for paint and maint.

I think sitting for a long time can cause problems for the impeller. Maybe the AF exacerbates that.

Motor is Universal M-18. Oberdorfer pump.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would agree with inspecting it once a year and replacing it when it starts to show wear. The vanes start loosing their flexibility and the tops start wearing down. I do always keep one or two spares handy.

Jun 25, 2012
catalina 350mk11 Rock Hall MD
Greg Delezynski
I like the looks of the speed seal on their web sight. You can inspect the impeller without putting in a new gasket by using a reusable O ring. thanks

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
and don't use antifreeze in the raw water cooling system to winterize unless you take the impeller out. The anti makes the rubber brittle.
Correction, or rather expansion:

Don't use propylene glycol AF in the raw water system... Use ethylene glycol. It is not a potable system and there is no environmental difference. While PG stiffens neoprene impellers, EG does not... which is part of the reason no car OEM uses PG. It's bad for many parts, both soft and hard (many hard plastics (strainers) are crazed by PG).

By extension, use EG in the head too. Same reason. PG is for potable water only, unless you like replacing joker valves and impellers.

I don't use PG and generally get >5 years from an impeller

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack

While knocking on a really BIG piece of wood I have always done very well on all my impellers with these being swapped out at two years just because

I love the speed cover on my pump BUT it is one tiny o-ring

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I replace mine every other year. That would be about 200 engine hours. If you are unsure about the condition of your impeller and want a quick test: remove the hose on top of the exhaust elbow and watch the water flow with the engine on idle. If water flow is robust you are probably OK.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I usually replace it every alternate year (around 225 hours or so) and have not seen any wear on the impeller. It may depend on what's present in your water. I'm thinking areas with glacial flour in the water for example would get way more wear.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't put nearly those amounts of hours on the engine and yet the vanes show cracking over time. Rubber ages .

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They have been closed up for a long while now. Not Covid related. I have enough spacers for mine to last as long as I keep Bella .

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
They have been closed up for a long while now. Not Covid related. I have enough spacers for mine to last as long as I keep Bella .
Yep, someone revived a thread from 2014. I was excited about the possibility of buying the Speed Seal Life until I saw the date of the thread.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes SpeedSeal closed due to medical issue for the owner inventor in mid 2017. There was a big snag regarding his estate when he passed. The estate wanted to sell the business for an exorbitant sum of money. There was an issue with the patent, international rights vs US rights and manufacturer right up-to the spring of 2019. I lost track of the business about then.

I thought the idea had merit. Was going to buy one in 2017. Asked about it 2 months to late.

I suspect an enterprising millwright could make one.