This gadget is clamped to my mast and it's main function is to keep the mast from going over the side as I raise/lower.  I call it a mast yoke and there are temporary stays (baby stays) connected to it and pivot bridles on both sides of my boat located on the side decks near the chainplates.  

There are two simple rules to follow when raising/lowering the mast from the stern of the boat:  1.  Always make sure that the boat is level from side to side.   2. The wind needs to be coming directly from aft.     If the boat is leaning to one side, the temporary stays may not support the mast.  The same holds true if a large gust of wind hits the mast from the beam of the boat while raising/lowering.   In either case the mast can go over the side.  
If you don't have a furler, the mast yoke along with temporary stays and pivot bridles can be omitted as long as you follow those two simple rules.     All that is needed is the Gin pole and the mast crutch in the stern.
Joe11688

This gadget is clamped to my mast and it's main function is to keep the mast from going over the side as I raise/lower. I call it a mast yoke and there are temporary stays (baby stays) connected to it and pivot bridles on both sides of my boat located on the side decks near the chainplates. There are two simple rules to follow when raising/lowering the mast from the stern of the boat: 1. Always make sure that the boat is level from side to side. 2. The wind needs to be coming directly from aft. If the boat is leaning to one side, the temporary stays may not support the mast. The same holds true if a large gust of wind hits the mast from the beam of the boat while raising/lowering. In either case the mast can go over the side. If you don't have a furler, the mast yoke along with temporary stays and pivot bridles can be omitted as long as you follow those two simple rules. All that is needed is the Gin pole and the mast crutch in the stern.

There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
Trinkka's mods
Added by
Joe11688
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata