DSC01472 Years ago I went out and bought some el cheapo bottom paint from "Worst Marine" that required that the surface be primed first.  After getting the paint home I read the small print that said, you need to apply the primer and put the bottom coat on while the primer is sticky.
"Oh great! How the heck am I going to pull this off?"  The answer was easy.  Just stick some 2x4s and 2x6s under the gunwales to the ground, and remove all the stands.  I wish I'd have taken a picture of that but I was running against time.

Consequently, about the middle of the summer my boat was moving at a crawl.  I anchored in a sandy cove and dove under the boat and discovered a soft thick mat of marine growth all over the bottom of my hull.  I was scraping it off in sheets.
Ya know what?  I could have avoided all this by getting some Super Shipbottom Ablative bottom paint and applying it to the bottom at my leisure time.  You don't need a primer.  It has the primer built in and it has about 62% copper content.  It will go over bare Fiberglas and most bottom paints.  I've been using this paint for years.   One coat can get me two seasons.  You can't beat that.
Joe11688

DSC01472 Years ago I went out and bought some el cheapo bottom paint from "Worst Marine" that required that the surface be primed first. After getting the paint home I read the small print that said, you need to apply the primer and put the bottom coat on while the primer is sticky. "Oh great! How the heck am I going to pull this off?" The answer was easy. Just stick some 2x4s and 2x6s under the gunwales to the ground, and remove all the stands. I wish I'd have taken a picture of that but I was running against time. Consequently, about the middle of the summer my boat was moving at a crawl. I anchored in a sandy cove and dove under the boat and discovered a soft thick mat of marine growth all over the bottom of my hull. I was scraping it off in sheets. Ya know what? I could have avoided all this by getting some Super Shipbottom Ablative bottom paint and applying it to the bottom at my leisure time. You don't need a primer. It has the primer built in and it has about 62% copper content. It will go over bare Fiberglas and most bottom paints. I've been using this paint for years. One coat can get me two seasons. You can't beat that.

There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
Taking the boat off the trailer
Added by
Joe11688
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata