Working the Propane Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

For you galley vets, this will be an easy one, but for me, I never turned on my 2-burner/oven propane Allied Seaward (Princess) stove onboard my 1988 Catalina 30. We have been using our microwave and its time to put the stove to work. Unfortunately, I do not have the operational manual. My last boat had a portable Coleman stove, so that was easy. My propane tank is in the aft cockpit locker, I have a solenoid switch mounted on the panel and I want to make sure my steps are accurate in lighting this baby up. My biggest concern is the solenoid and determining how and if if it operates properly. Anything peculiar about this model stove? Propane sinks and can be dangerous, so if someone can step forward and take me through the proper steps, I would be grateful. Bob

J

Jim Hamilton

really?

Are you sure it's propane? My '87 Cat has CNG and I thought that most model use CNG since there are less venting/safety requirements. As I understand it, they use CNG because it doesn't sink like propane and therefore is harder to accendently spark large 'pools' of the gas.... Jim

K

Ken

Propane on my new 310

On my 310 I have a Propane stove with the solenoid switch on the panel as you describe. Easy to use. Make sure Stove knobs are off Turn on value at tank Flip on solenoid switch on panel Turn knob to Light and hit the red button that says inginte. Hold for a minute to make sure saftey sensor reaches operating temp and away you go. Ken S/V Juliet Catalina 310 Hull #282

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Propane or CNG

Bob Jim's right about the vintage. We have CNG. If it's a BIG HEAVY tank, looks like an oxygen tank, it's CNG. However, you say you have a solenoid valve, and the tank is in the aft locker, which starts to look like propane as long as the tank is in its own locker and vented overboard. Operation: You turn on the solenoid, open the tank valve, wait a few seconds until the gas gets to the burner, which you have also opened, and you light it with a match. That simple. Pretty much the same for CNG except there's no solenoid valve. With your vintage stove, there probably no lighter built into the stove-top, as Ken describes on his new C310. Use a long match, a butane lighter or a spark clicker. I recommend that you look at the West Marine catalog which has a good advisor on using and designing propane systems. Also check BoatUS and Sailnet, where there are plenty of instructions and pictures, too. Happy eating! Stu

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Stove

One addition to Stu's post. On my stove (1997 C320), in order to light the burner, you must first turn the knob to "Burner Ignite," then push and hold the red safety button while attempting to light the burner. If you do not push and hold the button, the burner will not light.

Feb 26, 2004
Vintage Counts

The age of the stove may dictate what "features" it has. I was only going with the lack of features that may be {not be???} on Bob's stove based on the year of his boat. Newer boats have "better" stuff on their stove tops, but the basics are still the same. Don't want to get Bob looking for things that may not be there. Thanks for the input. Stu

B

Bob

Thanks...its propane

Thanks for the responses. It is a propane unit, but does not have the red button ignitor. Simply two burner knobs and an oven temp/pilot light knob. My caution and concern was more the solenoid and how well it funtioned or not, never having one in previous systems. I know that many of the older and large models have the propane sensor and alarm systems, which is an excellent safety feature. CNG rises and that may be the standard for Catalina for the newer models. I will carefully go thru the steps as outlined, listening and smelling for leaks along the way til I get comfortable with the system. My wife will have fire extinguisher in hand at the ready! The propane gimballed stove/oven is a far cry from my old alcohol and Coleman camper stoves I had on previous vessels. Thanks Bob 88 C-30

R

Ron

Propane stove

Bob: I have an identical set up on my '88 Catalina 30. Follow Ken's steps, using a match for lighting the burners. For the oven, you will have to look underneath the trays/racks to see the end of the pilot light tubing. Light a match to that opening to ignite the pilot light and everything should work fine.

K

Ken

Selenoid Valve

The selenoid is a convenience item. It should be located in the vented propane compartment. It allows you to stop the flow of propane into the cabin without having to close the tank valve each time. To test it, after you have the stove top working, close the valve, the burner should extinguish in a few seconds. For safety I assume it is a normally closed valve requiring voltage to hold it open to allow gas flow. So you will need your battery switch on. But I have never tested mine so it may just be a simple energize to change positions type.

Feb 26, 2004
No

"The selenoid [sic] is a convenience item." Nope, it's a safety issue. Turn it off at the tank and don't depend on the solenoid. Read up on it. Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.