Wifi questions resurrected

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Update on Hawking Technologies. I cannot recommend them or their products. Their "marine product" doesn't work as represented and they refused to stand behind it. Look elsewhere.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Jesse,
Thanks so much for sharing so much of your experience. While you are enjoying sunshine and lower latitudes, it's 16F on Lake Erie today, hopefully winters last gasp. I've built your recommended Bullet/antenna system at home in preparation for moving to Brio next month. Your guidance was priceless and all is working great. We have weak WiFi at the marina, and I look forward to much better performance while docked and cruising around Erie's Western Islands. I work from a home office, so if I can get decent wireless on the boat, well...

How do you mount your antenna when hauling up the halyard? I anticipate that the Bullet and cable would counterbalance somewhat to keep the antenna vertical, but I would also expect it to oscillate in the wind. I've considered making a loop of 1" webbing to restrain the top of the antenna parallel to the line.

Also, I'm using the PoE that came with the Bullet for the home trial. The Bullet specs 24V and you recommended the Creatin 12V PoE. Will the bullet work at 12V? Thanks as always. /Ed

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hi Ed,

On the mounting of the antenna, you don't have to keep it perfectly vertical. The antenna is an omit directional. So I tie some Paracord to the bottom of the antenna as a down haul to straighten it a little and keep it from swaying.

On the PoE it sound like you might have bought the 24 volt bullet. Check the packaging. If not then the 12 volt will work.

Good luck

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Thanks for the quick reply Jesse. I did buy the 24V as it was all I could find for sale. A bit of online research and I learned Ubiquiti changed the specs (same product) from 10-24V to 24V period. It seems from the posters, that they will work at 12V but flake out at approximately 11.5V depending on cable length. So I'll try it at 12V and if any issues, easily solved with a $20 12-24V DC-DC step up.

I'd considered a down haul, but the paracord is a great suggestion.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I just purchased and installed the Groove antenna. It does state that the antenna has to be vertical to work. Must be different from the Bullet...
bob