Who uses an anchor roller?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If I'm not mistaken I have some photos in my refit thread that show mounting the C22 roller from CD on my 1987.
I didn't have to redrill the tang mounting hole in the hull, because it was slightly larger than the bolt. I was able to get the bolt in, and tighten it down, with a washer backing it inside the hull. The worst part was trying to get my hand through the access hole in the anchor locker, and making sure I didn't drop any of the nuts/washers inside the hull.

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
I know this was a older thread but has anyone looked into putting a couple of triangular shaped diamond tread pieces of aluminum under rubrail to protect the bow and make the CD roller work?

Just asking...

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Lemon Drop......All I can tell you is that the bow roller from Catalina Direct works like a charm, for at least it does for me, and the one on our friends new design C-22 does also. I use the Danforth as shown in the photo, and a Lewmar plow. I even have been known to leave the anchor left in the anchor roller while trailering the boat across the country.

Don
2016 Y-KNOT MOTOR SAILING.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The CD roller roller works depending on which anchor you have/use.

I addition, in my case, the CDI roller furler on my boat is a but of a hassle to rig/derig, when the CD anchor roller is in stalled.

I could spend the money to modify the standing and running rigging and have the sail recut, so the drum sits higher, but I'm in Gene's camp with wanting to use a bigger/better anchor so a custom roller makes more sense in my case since it can solve both issues.

Check Gene's custom roller thead. It has "before" photos which show why he made his.
In a nutshell, his anchor hit the bow, due the fluke angle and increased size, and it wasn't supported enough, due to increased length.

May 11, 2016
Hunter Passage 42 Jensen Beach
Hi Gene Neill. Did you buy your Mantus Anchor at one of the boat shows? Because you look familiar to me.
If you did talk to me did I show you our small bow roller? It may help with your fit problem. You can get all the dimensions for it on our website. Let me know if I can help.
Dean
www.mantus anchors.com

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Hi Gene Neill. Did you buy your Mantus Anchor at one of the boat shows? Because you look familiar to me.
If you did talk to me did I show you our small bow roller? It may help with your fit problem. You can get all the dimensions for it on our website. Let me know if I can help.
Dean
www.mantus anchors.com
Thanks for your link and suggestion. I'm a fan of Mantus stuff for bigger boats and the BR1 is certainly a nice option for smaller day-sailors as well. Let me just give you a little feedback related specifically to the C-22;
- The C-22 uses stem fitting with a 'factory' bolt pattern. Almost all C22s use the exact same bolt pattern from the 70's up to today, however boats 1986 and newer feature a tang that passes through the very front point of the deck and down the bow peak. Owners looking for a good bow roller typically want a 'blank' roller so they can drill the exact bolt pattern, and if they have the tang it requires a slot cut at the exact location.
- The Catalina Direct bow roller is wider (proportionally) than most bow rollers to account for the stem fitting sitting inside the unit where the anchor rides and operates on offset rollers to starboard. There is also a 'feed' tang on the aft starboard corner of the roller to allow the rode to run on that side and not catch a square edge of metal.
- Pre 1986 C22's have no dedicated anchor locker. This limits options for some owners and also leads to some pretty poor choices in owner modifications. My boat had a chain pipe installed (a very poor one) that lead the rode into the small forepeak space fwd of the Vberth. Not the worst place to store the rode but since it had no drainage it just turned the chain into a rusty mess and the moisture created a lovely crop of mold. For those that have the dedicated anchor locker (like Gene), they are the most likely to use an anchor roller since they have the correct method of storing the rode. There is very little room for an anchor windlass, but I'm sure a few owners have installed them.
- I have the Catalina Direct Anchor roller myself. Honestly I feel a bit silly having installed it because I doubt I will use it much. Its dimensions limit the size of the anchor one can use because if too large the flukes will hit the bow. I know that the Mantus BR-1 with the anchor mate is designed specifically to solve that issue and I agree its a great design. But for a C-22, where anchoring can be only occasional for some of us, the low tech solution is usually better... hand launch and retrieval.
- I think the price point for the Mantus BR-1 and the BR-2 are both excellent for what they provide and I would recommend it to any friend or client of mine with a bigger boat, but at nearly 3 times the price (BR-1 w/Anchormate) vs the C-22 roller from Catalina Direct, it is going to be a tough sell to this crowd.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
For what it's worth, here is my real life experience with C-22 anchors. We had an original version of the C-22 for many years. With no anchor locker, the Danforth #8 anchor hung from the bow pulpit with about 8' of chain. The end of the chain had a spring clip attached, and the normal configuration was the anchor hanging, the chain draped up and over the anchor, and the end of the chain clipped to the bow eye. The rode was kept in a heavy nylon mesh bag where it could dry, and was stored in the rear portside hold. We used this set up for many years, worked great, and was easy to store.

My Capri-18 didn't have an anchor locker either, and seeing no need to reinvent the wheel, I used the same system that worked so well on the C-22 years earlier, I simply copied the same anchor set up.

With our C-22 MK-II, it does have an anchor locker, and I have installed the CD anchor roller. My primary anchor is again a Danforth #8, (actually the West Marine clone), with 8'-10' of chain, and probably a 200' rode. I also carry a small Lewmar claw, I believe it's in the 7 LB range, again with probably 10' of chain, and a couple hundred foot rode. It's kept in a heavy nylon mesh anchor bag, and once it's dry, it's stored in the forward hold where the V-berth once was. When beaching, we normally deploy the Danforth off the bow, set it, motor in reverse to the beach, and hold the boat in position with the Lewmar claw dug into the beach.

The nice thing about the Catalina Direct anchor roller is that it holds either of the anchors secure while sailing, or trailering. I did drill a hole in the shank of both anchors so the pin will hold the anchor from an accidental deployment. I like being able to stand over the anchor locker, or the mesh anchor bag, and pull up the anchor. The anchor roller helps squeeze the water out of the rode and I'm pulling it in. Just easy to deploy or retrieve the anchor.

Now, is the wind comes up, and I've got some concern, I make a loop in the rode, put it through the bow eye, and bring the loose end up to the starboard bow cleat and tie it off. Now any strain is held at the bow eye. I like the Catalina Direct anchor roller also because the front tabs that allow the boat to swing without chafing on the rode.

Attached are some photos of setting the anchor on the Capri-18 to start a raft-up on Long Beach Harbor. There are also photos that show our MK-II at anchor, including one photo where our friends C-22 rafted up along side us during the recent fall cruise.

Granted, my anchorage set-up would probably not meet Lloyds of London criteria, but it's simple, economical, and most of all, has worked well for us over the years in a wide variety of bottom surfaces, and has earned our trust for spending the night on the hook.

Don
LONGBEACH 011.jpg

IMG_2446.JPG

AT ANCHOR 001.jpg

IMG_3706.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Dean
www.mantus anchors.com
Hi Dean, sorry for the delay in responding, we've been sailing out of cell signal for the last week. (Which means it was a great week!!) :thumbup:

As far as I know, we haven't met. I bought my Mantus here at sailboatowners.com ... and man do I love it. My wife actually bought me a Mantus Anchors T-shirt for a stocking stuffer this Christmas, so I'll be out there advertising for ya!

But I'm happy to say I no longer have a fit problem, that got fixed some time ago with the combination of a modified larger bow roller, and an Anchor Mate. I could not be happier. Love it love it love it!

May 11, 2016
Hunter Passage 42 Jensen Beach
Hi Gene, So glad that you love your Mantus Anchor! And glad you got your fit issue fixed. We also got away from the dock over the holidays! It has been all work and not enough sailing! :)