Registered users don't see ads

Where to Stow The Boom for Travel

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by Saxacussionist, Nov 5, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Saxacussionist

Saxacussionist

Joined Sep 16, 2013
    38 posts, 8 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Peoria, IL
    I've owned my 1990 26S for 8 years now. She normally sits in a slip at my local marina all summer with a trip to the Great Lakes a couple of weeks a year. I'm getting ready to head down to Florida, a 3,000 mile round trip. I've tried a few different ways but have not been able to come up with a simple but effective way to stow the boom inside the cabin. At the moment, I am considering removing the port side bench seat cushion, wrapping the boom with heavy towels in a couple of places to cushion and prevent wear, then finding a way to strap the boom down to the fiberglass bench. It seems like there should be a better way. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,147 posts, 963 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    3000 miles is a long way. Maybe some fitted padded 2X4s strategically placed so you can secure the boom to them?

3. THECUSCUS

THECUSCUS

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    837 posts, 51 likes
    Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38
    US NORTH EAST, MD
    I used some heavy duty bungy cords and gorilla tape to affix it to the mast on a roundtrip to Florida (2000miles) on my last trip. My first trip I tied it to the compression post, wrapped the ends in beach towels, and slid it into the vberth as far as it would go. It didn't move any, but took up lots of room and we wanted to sleep in the boat on the way. That is why the next trip I kept it on the outside.
    missa2016.jpg

4. Project_Mayhem

Project_Mayhem

Joined Sep 24, 2018
    96 posts, 22 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Waukegan
    I would do what @Cuscus recommends but with ratchet straps. Maybe a few blocks of wood to avoid scratching and in case hardware gets in the way

5. Sumner

Sumner

Joined Jan 31, 2009
    5,180 posts, 227 likes
    Macgregor 26S/Endeavour 37 .
    US Utah's Canyon Country
    [​IMG]
    Our main stays on the boom in a sail-pack and we tie that to two of the port side stanchions on trips. It is out of the way and we can still raise and lower the pop-top with it there. Above was one of the 2200 mile one-way trips to Florida where I wrapped the boom/main and the mast/genoa with tarp pieces.
    [​IMG]
    Now I don't bother with the tarps to keep road rash off as it didn't materialize. The boom/main/sail-pack are tied to the stanchions and the mast/genoa are cover with the cover I made,

Sumner
    ====================================================================
    1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
    Endeavour 37 Mods...
    MacGregor 26-S Mods...
    Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

6. timebandit

timebandit

Joined Jun 3, 2004
    1,781 posts, 31 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US So. Cal.
    I don't tow very far but I like Sumner's idea but not with the sail on. I stow a 10 foot jib boom on the life lines when not in use, it is out of the way and safe.

7. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    1,018 posts, 80 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland
    I trailer all the time and I just strap the boom with the sail flaked and tied on it between the stanchions on deck.

Never had any problem with it.

8. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    942 posts, 177 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    If your looking for a way to pad the boom, try buying a couple of swimming noodles. Slit it open, and put it around the boom. I have to think the boom fits in your cabin, but assume it doesn't lay flat anywhere. I don't know that to be a problem. My boom sits on the bed with one end on the counter. If you want to support it batter, throw a couple of life jackets under it. Unless you roll the boat in an accident, it should be just fine. I've never seen mine move around in the cabin, even after a panic stop.

Project_Mayhem likes this.
  9. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,147 posts, 963 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    Lets us know how you do it and how it went

10. My Mistress

My Mistress

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    209 posts, 27 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Lakehills, Tx
    Gee....have I been doing it wrong all this time? I hang the end of "Mistress'" boom from the interior liner on the port side and the gooseneck rests in the forward berth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the image quality. It looked a lot better when I was aboard........

11. Saxacussionist

Saxacussionist

Joined Sep 16, 2013
    38 posts, 8 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Peoria, IL
    IMG_20181120_154801335.jpg IMG_20181120_154838007.jpg A lot of great ideas here. Thanks for the replies. I took a mix of a few different ideas and came up with what you see in the pics below. The boom is strapped to the gin pole, with it's break winch snug in the port side under-seat storage compartment. The bimini is strapped to that. The goal is for everything to be inside the cabin, secured as best as practical, with no chaffing on anything important / visible. It's a bit overkill for a quick jaunt to the ramp, however, for 3000 miles, I think it's worth the extra effort. I'll let you know how it works out!

12. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    3,892 posts, 1,909 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Saxacussionist, that looks very secure and ship shape. I can't imagine any problems with that plan.

-Will (Dragonfly)

13. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,147 posts, 963 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    That forward end of the boom won't bang on the Vberth will it? Can't tell from the angle.
    Do you think those towels will keep everything from bouncing up and down on the road? One last thing I would do is tie a line around the boom above that forward hatch, run it thru the settee and back up thru the aft hatch. Then snug the line on the aft end of the boom.

Have a safe trip! Post some pics of your new place.

14. Tsatzsue

Tsatzsue

Joined May 16, 2011
    464 posts, 35 likes
    Macgregor V-25
    US Charlton, MA- Trailer
    I jam mine all the way to the tip of the v-berth and set that end (goosneck) on a flotation cushion. The other end (clew) has a short line that I fasten to the port chain plate. Clove hitch. I wrap that end in a small towel. It sits perfectly behind the sink faucet. I remove the sail for travelling.

15. Saxacussionist

Saxacussionist

Joined Sep 16, 2013
    38 posts, 8 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Peoria, IL
    Update on the trip, a month late, sorry! The boom/gin pole made the trip perfectly! I don't think it moved at all. Justin, the end of the boom was a good 2" from the v birth. Absolutely no rubbing or chaffing at all. Yes, it's a bit overkill, but it gave me exactly what I was looking for! Thank you all for your help...!

Attached is a pic as we are headed out to the Atlantic from our house in Marathon Key, FL IMG_20190121_185327.jpg

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!