Where is your VHF?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I agree with the previous comments regarding the customary placement of the VHF at the nav station. It could not be further out of the way and would be useless if single handing. The Nav station is a safe place for it and it will (hopefully) never get wet. I don't think I have ever used it other than to test it. I highly recommend getting a remote mic for use in the cockpit. I have a Standard Horizon and the remote mic with extra cable cost around $200. It was one of the smartest things I did on my boat. The mic is waterproof, full function and is always there at hand. It was pretty easy to install and as well as being uber functional it will probably make your boat a little more attractive at resale time. My opinion is don't waste your money on an interior mounted VHF unless you plan to add a remote.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yeah, I thought about that after posting. Sorry.
No worries...

I've been hunting through eBay and Craigs List trying to find an inexpensive autopilot. And I've already ordered a chart book for Norfolk to Miami :) It is going to be a long winter and I can't wait until summer.

The one thing that really sold me on this boat was the fact that the interior was emaculately clean... AND!!!!! it came with an AC unit that was designed to fit in the front hatch. Whooo hooo..... yeah man. On those swarmy stagnant nights... I'll find a marina and pay the $40 to hook up.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've posted before about what a waste of space a "Navigation Station" is on most boats so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I think a VHF at that station is nearly useless. The best I can say about that position is that it stays dry. But if the S**t hits the fan on deck - knockdown, MOB, rig failure, fire, collision avoidance, or non emergency bridge openings, weather alerts, CG alerts, it might as well be on the moon - unless it is wired to a cockpit unit as jackdaw describes. The place for the functional VHF is at the helm.
I suppose this depends on the size of your boat and how you sail it. On Kestrel the Nav is kind of the never center, where both the big plotter and the ipad (inReach + weather routing) are. During long races or passages I'm there A LOT. Its also the 'office' of the boat. Without a doubt however you need to have access (listen + talk) to the VHF in the cockpit. Any variation of the RAM (which is a brand specific trade name) sytle functionality works. A remote-mounted speaker at least lets you know someone is trying to reach you.

In most instances a handheld does not cut it... the low antenna height and low power make it ineffective at most distances. It is however an invaluable piece of gear. Any number of emergency or failure scenarios will make a hardmouted, wired, fixed antenna unit unusable.

Jan 19, 2010
I suppose this depends on the size of your boat and how you sail it. ...
Agreed. I like to sail no more than 20 to 40 kts in a single day... usually within sight of a shore or at least close enough to reach shore within a few hours... and then anchor each night in a cove. The longest trip I've taken so far is a week. I tried for a 10 day cruise last summer but got chased off the water by Hurricane Aurthur. I have two consecutive weeks blocked off for this summer so that will be my longest so far if all goes well.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
No worse than being mostly on an inland lake where there are two considerations, 1; if you can't see a power plant, you shouldn't be on the lake, and 2; if you flip it, you hop off and walk to shore.
Neither of which are real, by any stretch, but that doesn't preclude a good supply of readily available, and well functioning equipment, because there's no excuse for "gee I should have brought that". :banghead:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I suppose this depends on the size of your boat and how you sail it. On Kestrel the Nav is kind of the never center, where both the big plotter and the ipad (inReach + weather routing) are. During long races or passages I'm there A LOT. Its also the 'office' of the boat.
My post re nav was perhaps too strident. But it is one of my pet peeves. Nevertheless the thread is about VHF mounting. I'll get back to nav stations some time.

Jan 19, 2010
My post re nav was perhaps too strident. But it is one of my pet peeves. Nevertheless the thread is about VHF mounting. I'll get back to nav stations some time.
Shemander

I think it was relevant. Most people put their VHF at the nav. station. I don't have a designated nav. station and I don't want to give up the space to create one. Where should I put that on a coastal pocket cruiser and what would I have to give up? I think we make different choices as the size and purpose of our boats vary.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Rob,
I think putting it in the bathroom wall sounds like good idea. You could also mount it forward of the sink.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thru head wall mount: I would worry about foulies getting caught on the face/knobs and breaking stuff and possibly ruining foulies.. Like Allan, my VHF is under the side deck and I have a hard wired remote mic back by the helm.. Works very well!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Andrew,
It seems totally relevant, considering the choices of hardware. If the intention is a single piece of hardware, then close to the companionway so you can get to it, and if using a remote microphone setup, the main unit can be someplace less protruding. With the remote being able to do everything, including power on/off, the main unit could be inside a cupboard if desired to be really that far out of the way.

Jan 19, 2010
Rob,
I think putting it in the bathroom wall sounds like good idea. You could also mount it forward of the sink.
Thanks Kermit.... I think that I'm starting to like that sink option.

Combining everyone's input, I think I might go with something like the sink mount and a remote mic. In addition to the benefits meriachee (and others) mentioned, I would not mar the interior of the head with the protruding guts of my VHF and I could run all of the wires out of the way behind the hull insert. That would keep things clean.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
A three foot whip antenna on top of the mast is best for reception. Choice of yours is up to you but one is by Shakespear.
Run the coaxl cable into the mast but drill into the mast at first and then angle downward. When done take a round file and sand the burs off the edges inside and outside. Drill a hole and then upward for the cable to exit on the starboard side of the mast. Shakespear makes a fixed base two inch long double ended female that accepts the PL 259 plug on both sides. There s a cover cap that can be purchased for the outside to cover the top of that two inch unit to keep water out when a Pl259 is not attached which gives you a quick disconnect.

Inside is a ridge seen in the ceiling running to the starboard side. Not sure if there is a light there or an access panel. If not, you can cut a small access out and cover with smoked plexi or lexan as a cover plate to install the two inch piece. Run another cable thru that channel to the starboard and fish it just above the carpet on the wall under the fiberglass ceiling to the rear into the rear berth. From there you can add a VHF radio or even install once on the channel. You would still have to run a Number 14 DC wire for the unit.

Jan 19, 2010
A three foot whip antenna on top of the mast is best for reception. Choice of yours is up to you but one is by Shakespear.
Run the coaxl cable into the mast but drill into the mast at first and then angle downward. When done take a round file and sand the burs off the edges inside and outside. Drill a hole and then upward for the cable to exit on the starboard side of the mast. Shakespear makes a fixed base two inch long double ended female that accepts the PL 259 plug on both sides. There s a cover cap that can be purchased for the outside to cover the top of that two inch unit to keep water out when a Pl259 is not attached which gives you a quick disconnect.

Inside is a ridge seen in the ceiling running to the starboard side. Not sure if there is a light there or an access panel. If not, you can cut a small access out and cover with smoked plexi or lexan as a cover plate to install the two inch piece. Run another cable thru that channel to the starboard and fish it just above the carpet on the wall under the fiberglass ceiling to the rear into the rear berth. From there you can add a VHF radio or even install once on the channel. You would still have to run a Number 14 DC wire for the unit.
That is a lot of info....:confused:

I'll just have you show me what you are talking about when we go sailing:biggrin:

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I recently read an article about fixed VHF's with DSC. These must be hooked up to your GPS in order for the DSC to work. New units are coming out, both handheld and fixed, with built in GPS, making DSC worthwhile. There is more to do as well as you need to get it programmed with an MMSI number. You need to have the GPS component for alerting the authorities of your precise position. So if your looking for a realistic placement, a nav station, where hiding connecting wires to your GPS, is a good idea. Great article by Marke Corke in the most recent copy of Boat US magazine. There is a link at www.BoatUS.org/DSC with a full downloadable video.
I built a Nav wall on my 25.5. I have my fixed VHF in the cabin with an extension speaker in the cockpit. I also have a handheld in the cockpit. For storage while away from the boat it has a spot on the nav wall. I do not have a GPS, I use my Ipad Mini as a chart plotter.
Nav Wall.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
On the 1st-gen H25s, it's typical to put this in either the settee-berth footwells or over the quarter berth; both places are eminently kickable and untidy to boot.

Over my q-berth I made a cabinet, facing the right-side cockpit seat, for the VHF and 'wallets and sunglasses' locker. Under this hangs the GPS. Both are accessible from inside and from the cockpit/hatchway.

I don't have a handheld yet but agree with what Shemandr says about access from the helm. When I get one I'll keep it in the cockpit-seat locker.

In other news, Campmor (online and in Mahwah NJ) sell plenty of cool little nylon drawstring bags that are perfect for catching and keeping radios, cameras, phones, wallets, etc. I got a bigger one for the toaster oven as well. Might keep the stuff from getting kicked around and damaged in too-big locker spaces.

Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
I don't own a 26, but saw this on an expired H26 ad. I like having the radio, especially the mike, handy to inside and outside the cockpit. Also, an external speaker (mine is a cheap radio shack external CB speaker) can make a world of difference understanding the conversation compared to some internal speakers. As far as mounting, I hate cutting holes for something that may be broken in 2 years.
-Chris

Attachments

Sep 17, 2012
Hunter 23 Smith Mountain Lake
I'd suggest the head bulkhead is a great place, but instead of through the bulkhead, build a box and mount it parallel, facing up so it is easy to use from the cockpit.
TG

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Mine is mounted on the ceiling on the Starboard side as you enter the cabin , just above the stove. You can stand on the steps and look outside as you use it. Also it's out of the way. I thought that was the standard location.
image.jpg