When were the best Hunters built?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HOW Editorial

Which decade produced the best Hunter sailboats? The 70's with its early Cherubini's; the 80's with the famous 31/34's and the Legend series; or the current arch-equipped, innovative boats of the 90's? What's your favorite and why? Voice your opinion here then vote in this week's Quick Quiz, found at the bottom of the home page. Editorial note: We all know there will be disagreement here, but let's keep the discussion civil. Flames or exceptionally provacative posts will be removed.

T

Tim Gabrielse

Best Hunters

the hunters from 1980 to 1989. You could multi-task them ( cruise and race). Not that you can't race the newer ones, but how many kites are flown on the backless stay ones from the 1990's. The Legens Series was their best series.

B

Bryan

Best for what?

Best for what? For foul weather conditions, maybe the more traditionally built Cheribini's work the best. For casually cruising around the bay and comfort in entertaining and spending time on board the 90's versions are better. The Legends seem somewhere in between. To me, what was important when I bought an '88 35 last year was that it was the best value in a boat that met my criteria. It was the best Hunter (or any boat for that matter) for me.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Best of the best.

I am deprived. My wife won't let me buy a bigger boat, but if see would I think that it would be the Legend 37.5.

P

Paul Akers

I'm biased - Legends

Maybe because I own one (L37), but I think the Legends really gave good bank for the buck. They have retained high resale value and many people I speak to indicate how they have always heard good things about them. I'm proud of mine and feel safe taking it anywhere I want to cruise.

J

Jay Hill

Anybody here owned at least one of each?

I have experience with a 70's Cherubini style (although built in '82) and the mid-80's euro-style in an H31. I've sailed the Legends, but little more, and have done nothing but visit the newer models with arches at various boat shows. I'd be interested in hearing what anybody that has owned each has to say??????

G

Gary Scheier

My pick

The early 1990's when they had back stays and were a little heavier. I've chartered the newer ones sereal times and althought they are faster in light air, when does S.F. Bay have light air?? This is exactly why we wanted to get a newer Hunter, but one old enough to have a backstay. I'm not sure if this is part of the Legend Series or not. Another thumbs down point on the new ones are the extreme swept-back spreaders. It makes running downwind rough on the main.

C

Cliff Ruckstuhl

The Boats Of the 80's

As I now am looking to move up the boats of the 80's offer so much. On these boats you can still fly a 150 head sail and race if you want. Not to mention the sleek look of a go fast boat. The biggest problem with the new boats is they seem to be party boats. I do love the interior of the new boats there roomy and bright lots of opening ports. BUT I hate the sail plan. I know how slow I go with just my 98% head sail in light air, and not having the option of installing a bigger headsail on a light air day would not be any fun. I am on my second Hunter and have manged to get two of my friends to see the light. But none of us like the current boats being made now. Maybe we would if we only stayed at the dock but then we would be power boaters. Cliff

C

Carl

All of them?

Everyone probally knows that I like the Cherubini Designed Hunters. I like the classic lines and also prefer alittle heavier boat. But I have crewed on a 35.5 and loved the ease of sail handleing, the speed and mameuverability. They have a great deal of room below too. So I guess I'm saying take your pick.

R

Roland Briere S/V Fraulein II

Best Hunters?

Being a sailboat charter captain and having sailed Hunters of different lengths from all three decades, the only answer to that question is: what do you want out of the boat? The newer boats are roomy and some are even pretty fast, especially in the 40+foot range (even though I just, yesterday, blew by an arched 43'h in a Morgan 416 OI), but I'm not really sure about the structual integrity. The 90's 29.5 is fairly light, very functional for a family with no more than 2 small children for a weekend or so, but not having a backstay makes me kind of nervous. The 80's Legend is a fast boat, roomy, although a bit more tender than I care for. I presently have a '77, 30' Cherubini that I have refurbished. It is quite heavy, moderately stiff, fast, and very seaworthy. It is lacking in the roomy department, however. Being the traditionalist that I am, I tend to favor the older boats and for my money the 70's design were some of the best. -Roland S/V Fraulein II

T

Tom M.

According to P.S. and Writer mate

According to Practical Sailor and The best yacht design writert Mr. Mate the Cheribini 54, and the Raider/ Hunter Cheribini designed for his brother and Hunter, Both boats are illustrated, in PS & Mate's book, As for my self, the Cheribine design, in the early eighties, the 37, cutter, the 36 made for a couple, the 33, the 30 and the 27, are my choice, they have that bermudian style, full coaming cockpit, like the SS designed Tartans.

M

Mike & Val Stockwell

legend 37.5

I like our 37.5 91 legend for a lot of the posted reasons. Back stay, extruded aluminum toe rail, lots of room seems fairly fast and has a unique style that appeals to us, on the minus side poor provision for anchor windlass (my only beef so far) ... I quess I might feel different if I had a chance to try all the different Hunter models.

C

carol donovan

can't really compare 'em

Having owned and lived on a 1980 H33 and a new H410, you really can't compare the boats. They were built to address the boating needs of their day - 1980s hard core sailors versus 2000 want to relax sailors. The H33 is solid, sleek and fast and it can be raced. You also get freezing cold ankle washes. The H410 is roomy and stable, and it is also incredibly fast given its beam - I blow by Catalina 42s. And I never get wet feet! But I was younger with the H33 and now I want to spend more time out on the water and not work quite so hard and the H410 is an easy boat to sail. So, it all goes back to how you intend to use the boat. That may be why Hunter continues to make 'em a little differently each decade... /c s/v Twilight, H410

R

Ron Cousino

which is best ???, 70's, 80's, 90's.

Having owned a 1977 Hunter 27, a 1982/3 Hunter 33, and currently own a 1993 Legend 37.5 I have enjoyed all three, but in my opinion my 37.5 is by far an away the best., in comfort, easy to sail, and the best in sail performance, best constructed and finished. As far as the 90's if I wanted a boat with an arch I would buy a SeaRay! HAPPY SAILING! Capt. Ron

H

Hal Barrett

Best Hunters

Preference is definitely for the more traditional (cruising) models, particularily those designed by Cherubini. My first Hunter was the 1984 34' and presently the 1979 37C. As others wisely noted, the intended usage is all important. My bag is coastal and offshore cruising, but any usage "always" brings the risk of heavy sea and wind conditions and this alone would favour the Cherubini designs. I like the heavier hull and easily reached hand holds. Wide open space below is only good for dockside socializing.

E

Ed Schenck

Carol hit the nail...

Carol and others have it nailed, it's the same reason some people buy Mercedes coupes and some buy Ford Expeditions. My old H37C is a great sailing boat and I can't wait to get her offshore. But I can't help admiring the big open cockpit, the bright and airy interior(especially the aft cabin), and the S/S arch of the H380 next door. I'm a Mercedes coupe kind of guy, but on a Dodge Neon budget.

J

Jay Eaton

TBD

I think the best Hunters have yet to be built. I like the trends set by Hunter and I look forward to the new designs and new technology to be incorporated into their new boats. In an evolving development one accepts entry when one can despite what wonders might be on the horizon. So, this year we have moved into the new design - from 1983 H31 to a 2000 H380.

B

Been there

"Wide open space below"

Hal Barrett writes, "Wide open space below is only good for dockside socializing," and points out the advantages of closer spaces with more handholds. There are two other aspects to this, often overlooked. First, every hull-form has a fixed amount of space, and so there is a trade-off between its uses. The more space alotted for socializing and visual openness, the less space available for storage. If I were to move to a larger boat, I would NOT want more living space. Instead, I would want more bins, shelves, and lockers. You can have a full-width rear cabin, or a quarter cabin and big lazarette, but not both. One's preference is suggested, though not determined, by intended use. Most liveaboards and people doing longer cruising will opt for storage, which is always too little. Divided space is better than bulk space, and drawers are especially valued. They are not so much agog over the joinery in their Westsail or Contest, as much as they are tickled over how many drawers and lockers the boat has, for its size. Weekenders and socializers prefer living space. When they need more storage space, they'll just dump stuff in the cabin they're not using. Second, is weight allocation. For performance and comfort, weight should be kept out of the ends. This is hard to do, since chain lockers tend to be in the nose. Designs focused on spacious interiors and full-width rear cabins make this worse, by pushing the V berth as far forward as possible, and by moving their cockpit storage to corner boxes. If, for a longer cruise, you also store more heavy stuff in that rear cabin, you've done about as bad a job of weight distribution as possible. I am less convinced than others that sail boat use has changed over the decades. The proportion of sailors who live aboard or who do longer cruising may be bigger now than ever before. Still, that's a small fraction. The evolution is more likely Hunter's than the market's.

S

Sean D.

Compelling question....

I find the question compelling and difficult to answer because I can't figure out if it is asking for personal opinion or for objectivity. This is a great thread, though, and amazingly nobody has stepped on anyone elses toes!!!! Spring is here ans we are all happy again. I feel the boat designs have changed to suit the wealth and speed of our society. It seems to me, twenty years ago, it was a lot harder to own a boat for the general public and that people that had them were die-hard. My dad could barely scrape by with only and O'Day 20 on a trailer. I own an 84 40 at age 25. The job I got out of college pays me enough to allow me to buy one and live on it. We make more money now as a whole. It is that very factor that is why the brand new Hunter's look the way they do and why they suit right now perfectly. Has anyone seen that Picnic Boat that is being produced by Hinkley? One of the greatest names in all of boating is producing a jet powered work of art for three hundred to five hundred thousand dollars, and it doesn't have a head!! Did anyone know that? And they can't build them fast enough. That screams at me....hey, people have a half million dollars to spend on a boat that they only use between trips to the bathroom. People have millions in disposable income, so they want something to enjoy as a second home for a day or two, then leave it for a week. It looks to me like this....the Cherubini's were built when the people who wanted boats wanted them to go places and demanded a seaworthy boat. That was the market then. My 84 40 shows a design that is on the forefront of the liveability and comfort of the current boats, but still sails very, very well. The market demanded faster boats but designers were still playing by certain rules. Then came the new boats, where the rules were bent and the innovation shown. Whether admitted by other boat builders or not, this innovation has appeared in more traditional models. The market for boats now demands comfort, fun, and ease, for a nice couple of days before we all go back to work on Monday. My point would be that they are all excellent boats from a great company. This is entirely based upon the fact that the company has its own vision. They don't build boats they know people will buy, they build boats that show SOME people that they SHOULD buy them. Not everyone should buy them, but it is the best choice for some. Company's like O'Day and Pearson have faltered not because they did not make great boats, but because they did not set themselves apart with innovation and individuality. That is my pride in owning a Hunter. The boat was built for a specific purpose, and it suits that purpose well.

Status
Not open for further replies.