What's on your TO DO list this winter?

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
We're pulling the transmission and starter for rebuild, repacking the shaft seal, cleaning up the engine compartment and if there's time, refurbish the rudder which has been collecting water for the past year or so...

bgary

Sep 17, 2015
1985 Ericson 32-III Everett
I have a couple of electrical projects, including
-- re-running the wires for what had been the shower sump-pump, for an auxiliary pump
-- replacing the wires for the propane solenoid/sniffer panel
-- running the wires for a "remote" mike from VHF back to somewhere near the wheel
and...maybe re-doing the mast boot, the recent rains have made me think it needs attention.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Actually here in St. Croix I take my boat out every other year to do the bottom, etc during the hurricane season. In October or November I am back in the water.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
install my rebuilt beautiful par jabsco belt drive bilge pump as a s second bilge pump to serve the shower bilge. install my new foldable davits to hold my just-built chesapeake light craft east port pram with sail rig. figure out how to attach the mast of the sail rig along the stanchions fore of the mast without having every one trip on it. add a remote to the windlass, wire the 12v into the cock pit.figure out how to rig a ham radio long line antenna. manufacture for the dog her phifertex sun awning, that she has been whining about for 7 years, so she can sit in cool comfort in her favorite area in front of the mast.

73 de Eagleswing KB3ZGY on the frozen hard at erie PA.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I'm going to pull the mast and replace the compression post. That of course requires I also do all the projects that were waiting until the mast is off: Replace all standing rigging, install wind instrument on top, install a radar, maybe replace the mast light wiring and/or radio cable.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Sail to St. Thomas, BVI, Culebra. Maybe Puerto Rico. It is easy when you live in St. Croix.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Going to cruise the upper keys in late December, and then haul out for a week in January to replace the cutlass bearing and several old gate valve thru hulls. Bottom paint is 2 years old so if it looks real bad I may also repaint while shes out.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Removed the transmission before covering, taking it to a guy I found not too far away who worked for Yanmar for 38 years. Will de-glaze the cones and re install gaskets etc for $250. Sounded like a good deal to me. Gave me very precise instructions as to how to remove the tranny- ie how much room I needed to slide it back, which bolts to undo etc.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
Removed the transmission before covering, taking it to a guy I found not too far away who worked for Yanmar for 38 years. Will de-glaze the cones and re install gaskets etc for $250. Sounded like a good deal to me. Gave me very precise instructions as to how to remove the tranny- ie how much room I needed to slide it back, which bolts to undo etc.
Sounds like a a great resource and is reasonably close to me, care to share contact info for your man?

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
I am working on a set of hinged hatch doors to replace the crib boards. Already made a mock up out of pine, cheaper to make a mistake with, and will try to photo document and post the results here when (if?) they are finished. Headed up to the boat tomorrow for a trial fit of the mock up.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
chrising's project sounds very interesting, much better than paying the $1000+ quoted me by the professionals. what kind of wood will the final version be made of ?

Nov 14, 2013
chrising's project sounds very interesting, much better than paying the $1000+ quoted me by the professionals. what kind of wood will the final version be made of ?
Still to be determined. The admiral says starboard, I prefer the more traditional look of teak but I am having trouble finding reasonably priced teak. May compromise and use mahogany.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Starboard ain't cheap either. No Maintenance though. Not like teak or any other wood.

Nov 14, 2013
Starboard ain't cheap either. No Maintenance though. Not like teak or any other wood.
Starboard is not cheap but it is about half the cost of the teak I would need. I am still searching for teak sources. After all, I have all winter. :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Starboard is not cheap but it is about half the cost of the teak I would need. I am still searching for teak sources. After all, I have all winter. :)
I hear ya. Still, consider the aggravation maintaining teak will be and decide if it is still cheaper. One or the coolest things my PO did was replace all the external teak trim with composite.

Nov 14, 2013
I hear ya. Still, consider the aggravation maintaining teak will be and decide if it is still cheaper. One or the coolest things my PO did was replace all the external teak trim with composite.
Oh I know, first thing we did upon purchasing the boat was refinish all the exterior brightwork. It's a mental deficiency I have, regardless of the upkeep, I really enjoy the look of real wood.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Oh I know, first thing we did upon purchasing the boat was refinish all the exterior brightwork. It's a mental deficiency I have, regardless of the upkeep, I really enjoy the look of real wood.
Nothing wrong with that !

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've got a new-to-me boat, so I'm spending this winter in heated storage (oh, the luxury!), and spending more time on the boat than when it's in the water. My project list is only limited by my imagination (large) and my pocketbook (small). The mast is off her for the first time in 17 years (how do people maintain stuff?), so new LED lights, new halyards, everything gets checked and lubed. Re-sealing some fittings with damp decks underneath (thanks Mainesail!) and generally understanding the boat better. You can never spend too much time upside down in some dark lazarette! :)