1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors forum... and tips on logging in

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by Phil Herring, Feb 11, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Phil Herring

Phil Herring Dethroned Admin

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,406 posts, 343 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bainbridge Island
    LOL, you'd think something like that would expire with the session, but yeah, Mac...

2. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    4,444 posts, 1,065 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    I think if the page you are on when you exit is the focus page, it will reappear when you restart the browser. Try opening another tab before you exit the browser. Make sure that the blank tab is the focused page. Hopefully the unfocused page will not come back when you restart the browser. Hopefully is the key word here. LOL

3. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    US HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
    OK, I think I've made it here... this is just a test post. Let's see if it works. And hey, thanks for keeping it alive Phil. CSBB and TSBB have always been good resources.

seaojoe and Brian D like this.
  4. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    Well, the biggest issue I see so far is not knowing where the newest posts are. With the old style, the new posts always were shown at the top... then one would go into the post and see that it followed a thread that could be quite old.

This thread centric showing somewhat obscures that aspect.

Of course there may be a way to turn on that option individually... I have to admit I have not tried all the functions here, yet.

Still and all, nice to see "the board" carrying on.

5. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,749 posts, 1,736 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    Hi Gene! I haven't taken advantage of customizing my page, yet. New posts show up a few ways.

I've been going to the main forums page and just clicking "New Posts". Obviously, that shows the list of the latest posts regardless of forum.

Also; while on the main forums page, new posts show up on the right of the page, in order. And these also show the forum the posts are in. Handy.

Or the "Alerts" at the top right icon is red which means a new post is in something you've posted in. That's where I saw you posted - twice, in this thread.

And of course you can go right to the CS board and see if anything is highlighted which tells of new posts.

Good to see you here, a few old posters are drifting back in.

6. Phil Herring

Phil Herring Dethroned Admin

Joined Mar 25, 1997
    4,406 posts, 343 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bainbridge Island
    Just about any list of posts you see will have the threads with the most recent activity at the top of the list.

7. genec

genec

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    188 posts, 57 likes
    Pacific Seacraft Orion27
    OK, I see how it works... the "new post" button of course "highlights" the new posts.

I too am glad to see some of the old gang here... especially considering the history of this place... being bounced from one host to another... uggg.

Of course the real question is whether this new forum will weather the difficulties of slow internet connections... which was in fact one of the reasons for the use of that older format, and the "photoday" as a single day. Of course it could very well be that that those that could, have upgraded their internet capabilities these days... to at least a 56k modem. GRIN

8. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Aye. Photo-heavy threads are a pet peeve of mine. I always look forward to visiting Mexico for the increase in download speed, among other things.

9. Al Schober

Al Schober

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    76 posts, 57 likes
    former Tartan 30
    41971 US now in Rockland, ME
    Something I learned years ago is to use a small thumbnail of the photo in the web page - which links to the larger photo if desired by the viewer. But I was doing the pages in html using Notepad - don't know if the new 'turbo' page editors give that option any more??

10. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    image.jpeg
    Thumbnails are an option here. Dunno about "turbo". :biggrin:

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat