We joined the family

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Catalina 310 323 Middle River, Md
Tomorrow we take position of our new to us Catalina 310. Wanted to thank everyone here for all the advice and thoughts on some of the questions we had. Against popular opinion, we decided to save $1000 and two weeks, and just do a self survey. Time will tell if that was a good choice or not, but it worked out just dandy on our last two boats.

It's only a small step up from our previous Cat 27, but maybe, just maybe it will be "big enough" if there is such a thing. ;-)

Hull number 323, old name Cheri Lynn, soon to be re-named Dreamcatcher, sailed out of the Middle River on the Chesapeake Bay.

Already got some winter projects on the list. Looks like to change the impeller on the stock raw water pump isn't very handy, but it looks like a more convenient option exists over at Catalina direct. Why isn't there a page at Catalina Direct for the 310? Or did I just overlook it? Also want to upgrade the battery charger with something with more bells and whistles like we put on our 27. I like little lights on the thing to let me know what's going on. I'm sure we'll be bugging you guys for some advice once we start those projects.

But for now, looks like we have a cleaning, inventory, organize and move in day tomorrow, and then mother nature is going to provide us with a good sailing day on Saturday. And then a rainy Sunday to check for leaks... Perfect weekend!

Mike and Lisa

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The marinehowto.com for a great charger. MaineSail runs the site and it has lots of great info.

Les

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Welcome to the 310 family. The reason for lack of a dedicated page at Catalina Direct may be the fact that the 310 was the shortest production run of any Catalina boat by a long margin. There were only approx 350 Catalina 310s built. With hull 323, you have one of the last few produced.

I went for a survey when I purchased my boat. Good thing too. The surveyor found that the rudder was delaminating. I was standing next to him as he tapped with a small mallet. There was no doubt about the change in sound. (He went over the entire hull looking for voids and delamination - it took some time). Upon drilling a hole near the bottom of the rudder, water was found inside. That is really back for the rudder stock. It could have broken off at any time. I had the PO obtain a new rudder and install it, before I would buy the boat. It had to be custom built as Catalina no longer has the forms for that rudder.

Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD
Welcome to the family. If you keep her in the existing location then I'm just down the dock from you. Enjoy!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Against popular opinion, we decided to save $1000 and two weeks, and just do a self survey.
Didn't the insurance company want a survey? I would recommend it, even now, so you know if there's something serious that should be addressed, and for peace of mind.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Oh, and congratulations and good luck! It's very exciting. I wish you the best.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Didn't the insurance company want a survey? I would recommend it, even now, so you know if there's something serious that should be addressed, and for peace of mind.
No.

I know everyone recommended it, but it was a choice we made and will now live with it. Either way she is now our boat and we will conquer the problems as they arise.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
The marinehowto.com for a great charger. MaineSail runs the site and it has lots of great info.

Les
Wow, there is lots of info there. Will be back there when we are ready for that stuff.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Welcome to the family. If you keep her in the existing location then I'm just down the dock from you. Enjoy!
Then we have met ;-)
Will be moving her sometime in the near future over to Middle River Landing Marina.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Against popular opinion, we decided to save $1000 and two weeks, and just do a self survey.
It's a zero sum game--"pay me now or pay me later." I've learned to just do what is necessary and get it over with. It's true that you can keep some of the cost down by doing some things yourself, IF you know what you are doing! Many folks do; others don't.

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
It's a zero sum game--"pay me now or pay me later." I've learned to just do what is necessary and get it over with. It's true that you can keep some of the cost down by doing some things yourself, IF you know what you are doing! Many folks do; others don't.
Considering spending $1000 for the survey is just to identify problems, not actually fix the problems, we feel the money would be better spent on fixing problems that we have already identified or upgrades. Granted like the case above that the survey found the delaminated rudder, that is a pretty big deal and the cost of the survey was easily worth it to find such a problem. Another example of it the opposite way, this spring my son sold a 32' Oday, great condition boat. Professional survey found one issue, one of the fire extinguishers was out of date. The new owner bought the boat. It is still slipped in our marina. A few months after the survey while out sailing the forestay broke. Luckily it didn't de-mast. The point is, even with a survey, its no guarantee. Either way its a gamble, but like you said, the money will get spent, its a boat.

Tonight will be our first night on the new boat, and the first time our two dogs get to come along rather than stay home. They have been in canoes many times, but first sailboat trip. Part of the reason for the bigger boat was more room so the dogs can come along "sometimes". Lots to figure out with that, but people do it all the time.

Mike and Lisa

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Welcome aboard! And before our Commodore recommends it, we would of course love for you to join the C310 IA so you can start receiving Catalina's Mainsheet magazine as well as receive a discount on BoatU.S. membership.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Considering spending $1000 for the survey is just to identify problems, not actually fix the problems, we feel the money would be better spent on fixing problems that we have already identified or upgrades.
A survey, a good one, assesses the overall seaworthy condition of the boat and potentially, at least, identifies present and future problems and concerns. It's focused mainly the vessel's hull, deck, and steering components. A surveyor does not climb the mast or closely inspect the rigging except perhaps where the chainplates attach the hull. For that, one needs a rigger; a separate expense. For that matter as well, they do not assess the condition of the engine; for that you need a separate engine survey. So, yes, one can spend a lot of money to assess the TOTAL condition of a boat and some of its equipment that you're interested in buying.

These may be rare things, but a surveyor probably could tell you if the boat has ever been hard aground to the point of damage, whether or not it has been flooded--i.e., sunk or partially so; the extent of hull blistering (if any) and what it might cost to repair that, the probable value of the boat, the extent of any delamination or water intrusion into the deck core; the condition of the thru-hulls, and so forth. (How many users can identify when thru-hulls are deteriorated and need replacement b/f one actually breaks off while being closed?) A boat is for most people a significant investment of multiple dimensions, not the least of which is an expectation of fun & safe sailing and cruising (which is clearly one of yours--Dreamcatcher!!). The hull survey is one way, albeit not the only way, to assess the quality and durability of that investment. However, if one buys a survey where nothing of concern is discovered, then it probably would feel as if the money could have been spent more productively elsewhere. But in any event--congratulations and Bon Voyage!

Last edited:

Lisa

Oct 12, 2017
Well the first night went well, the two dogs made themselves at home.

Really liking the boat.

One question so far. When running the shower sump it pumps all the water out but then when you stop the pump some water comes back in. Is this normal? Almost like it needs a check valve somewhere?

We will consider joining the 310 assoc.

Thanks, Mike

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Congratulations and Welcome, It is very exciting finding out all the Great things about our boat and some Not so great but the excitement is the adventure. Jesse is our Tech editor and he and family live aboard in the BVI after sailing down from Boston-So she is a very well built! Nice photos!
Part of what is great about a family is sharing-Jesse will gladly share his knowledge as well as others, please think about sharing your projects with us, and as Curt said Please join the association and support those who support us including this website.
We look forward to reading your adventures and expeirences!
Again Welcome!

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Congratulations Lisa! You'll find the 310 is a big step up from the 27 in many ways. We're here to help.