Registered users don't see ads

Water to flush the head

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by Lisa, Nov 22, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,851 posts, 42 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    We do that. I have a gallon jug. I collect the first gallon or two from the water maker run, clean but not drinkable. Then we use that water to fill the bowl before doing that business.

2. KZW

KZW

Joined May 17, 2014
    524 posts, 29 likes
    Catalina 310 #307
    US Bluewater Bay, FL
    This is the T under my sink. It is similar to Jesse's. The white line goes to the head raw water intake. The black line comes down from the sink. Close the seacock. Put water in the sink. Flush the head wet until the sink is empty, then flush dry to push everything into the holding tank. No connection to fresh water tank or lines. If I can do it, anyone can. I was once told I should never use tools without supervision.

Attached Files:

3. Lisa

Lisa

Joined Oct 12, 2017
    70 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 310
    323 US Middle River, Maryland Middle River, Md
    I did this on Saturday. Boat is on the hard so I didn't get a chance to try it, but I think it will accomplish my intended goal and it only cost a few dollars. The hardest part was getting the hose to make the bend up into the vanity. I was going to re-purpose the Tee that the head intake and shower/fridge sump shared, but it was a tee with three threaded fittings, opted for a one piece barbed tee. West marine only had plastic, but the guy said it was suitable for below waterline.

Thanks for the tips, sure was easier than adding a second water tank ;-)

Mike

4. marchem

marchem

Joined Nov 16, 2012
    487 posts, 29 likes
    Catalina 310, 2000, #31
    US Santa Cruz, CA Santa Cruz
    One of the biggest bang for the buck jobs I've ever done on a boat.

5. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,812 posts, 427 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    [QUOTE="Lisa, post: 1420573, member: 139532..., but the guy said it was suitable for below waterline. Thanks for the tips, sure was easier than adding a second water tank ;-) Mike[/QUOTE]

I think plastic below the waterline is not a good idea. You CAN find metal tees- hardware store or Home Depot IIRC. I just used one for the tempering valve. I think that bend in the drain will slow or not allow normal drainage. My drain goes 2' downhill to the seacock, and it takes almost a full sink of water to overcome the bay water resistance. my 2 cents.

6. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,477 posts, 347 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Unless it's gray water, why are you flushing sink water out the thru-hull instead of flushing it through the toilet?

7. KZW

KZW

Joined May 17, 2014
    524 posts, 29 likes
    Catalina 310 #307
    US Bluewater Bay, FL
    I didn't think it a good idea to put soap, detergent, or anything else that might end up in the sink into the holding tank. I thought I read that somewhere.

In regard to emptying the sink via the seacock: No issues on my boat, works just fine.

8. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,477 posts, 347 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    You did...at least one of the dozen or more times I've posted it. :D Which is why I said "Unless it's gray water..."

9. KZW

KZW

Joined May 17, 2014
    524 posts, 29 likes
    Catalina 310 #307
    US Bluewater Bay, FL
    Thank you Peggy. Everyone who has a head on their boat should have a copy of your book (and read it). I keep mine handy

10. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,477 posts, 347 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    I can't argue with that! :)

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.