Water Pump Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Based on what I see on this one, I think you'd have to cut the tube out carefully leaving a hole a little larger than the size of the pipe . The end of the tube that extends inside seems to be wrapped and glassed .. Not sure that the extension is needed, but the muffler works with it there and I wasn't willing to experiment on another guy's boat. Some kind of side cutter on a Dremel type tool would probably work pretty well .. or drill a bunch of vertical 1/8" holes (going to take about 40) through the case around the circumference of the tube. Should allow the inside and outside tube to come out together with the old glass collar.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I've been following this with interest. Is there any difference between this muffler and the one used with the 25XP on the Catalina 30 MKIII's

Thanks,
Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Claude, material question

Based on what I see on this one, I think you'd have to cut the tube out carefully leaving a hole a little larger than the size of the pipe . The end of the tube that extends inside seems to be wrapped and glassed .. Not sure that the extension is needed, but the muffler works with it there and I wasn't willing to experiment on another guy's boat. Some kind of side cutter on a Dremel type tool would probably work pretty well .. or drill a bunch of vertical 1/8" holes (going to take about 40) through the case around the circumference of the tube. Should allow the inside and outside tube to come out together with the old glass collar.
Thanks, that makes sense.

One of our guys questioned the use of brass. Did you mean bronze? Would ss work on the plate in the repair pdf?

Nov 6, 2006
Jimmcgee, According to Catalina Direct, the difference in the mufflers of the 30 and the 34 is the position of the nipples. On the 30, they are reversed from the 34. otherwise they say same.
Stu, brass, because it is available and would last a long time, I think much longer than steel. I couldn't locate a piece of schedule 40 bronze pipe. Admiralty brass would be great but it too is rare in that size. The muffler is electrically isolated so there should be no electrolysis. I would not use stainless on the muffler because of the probability of crevice corrosion on the nipple under the hump hose and where the flange meets the body of the muffler. Warm salt water with low oxygen is prime for causing crevice corrosion in stainless. After our repeated problems with seawater pump not priming, I don't think a fiberglass nipple should be used there. Titanium would be great and it is getting to be available but is still pretty expensive.

Nov 6, 2006
Closing Note On Muffler

We got the new muffler in from Catalina Direct .. a perfect piece.. very well made and exactly the same footprint. Moved the muffler forward a little to better align the "one bump" hose.. Works fine.. We noted that the water pump primed itself even though the engine had not been run in two months. Pictures are of the new muffler before and after installation.. It is a tight fit to get it in from the aft access but lots of jiggling and massaging wires let it get into place.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.