Water coming in at hatch

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by gfroch, May 15, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. gfroch

gfroch

Joined Jun 5, 2004
    59 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Rochester, NY
    We have had big rain lately and water is accumulating in the channel where the sliding hatch over the companionway goes under the fixed part of the hatch. When I open the sliding hatch, water comes pouring into the cabin from above where the slider comes out from over the coach roof, beneath the fixed part of the hatch. The slider is actually pulling water that has collected between the coach roof and fixed part of the hatch out. My boat is a 1987 MkII. Friends with MKI have visible drains at the forward end of the channel that allows water to drain. I don’t have that drain. I only have a drain at the aft end, near the winches. The issue is that the channel actually slopes up here.

Now, water does seep out through at the forward corner, but the fixed part of the hatch is caulked at the forward end, if not by factory then by a previous owner. Is it possible there was a drain that has been sealed? I know the MkI is different. Would love to hear if any MkII owners have this problem.

BTW- I have learned that if the sliding hatch, when closed, rests on the hatch boards and is pitched forward, the problem is worse. Even when it sits correctly, I still get some accumulation.

Thanks!

2. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    2,273 posts, 497 likes
    Catalina 30 Mk II
    US Barnegat, NJ
    When/After a rain I have to open my slider slowly or I have the same problem.
    I haven't looked for a drain or even why it happens.
    The forward edge of the fixed portion is caulked on my boat.

3. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    20,466 posts, 898 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.