Water ballast intake port not closing

May 24, 2017
Hunter Hunter 26 Kingston New York
Thanks to some improper handling by the boatyard at our marina ( I believe the water ballast valve may have been opened too far during hauling) the disk that closes the water ballast intake port is now bent and not sealing properly because the pins are no longer in alignment. I could ask them to try to bend it back but was wondering if that would be ok as a solution or if this needs to fit very precisely in order for the boat to function safely. I am a new owner/ sailor and don't want to do more damage / the wrong thing. Thanks, Maureen

Attachments

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I would personally sell the water ballast boat and buy a fixed keel model.....

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is hard to tell from that picture but it may not be bent. You simply need to rotate the plate clockwise until the pin aligns with that little hole. You opened the valve to far. That little pin keeps the alignment so you can close the valve in the water. If it is the main shank that is bent (can't see in this picture)... I'm betting you can get a new valve plate from this site (SBO). I've purchased a few parts from these guys already. Just give them a call. Or... you can loosen it even further take the entire plate out and see if you can straighten the main shank in a vice.

out.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good eye on that Rob and thank you for that photo. Sounds like Moment may have rotated that by allowing the wing nut to be unloosened too far. Also folks never use vise grips or pliers on that rod as you will retard the threaded rod and will be sorry for that. I sent a privat email to him but again Rob, good catch on that my friend. How are you doing? Send me a private email. Moment, suggest you go to the small boat section vs. here on all hunter owners but rather small boat hunter owners