Water ballast boats' deck access?

Jun 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Bay city, mi
we are buying an H260 and as senior type folks we wonder if there are any special ways to more easily get to the bow as they don't have side decks or dedicated hand holds. We do have roller furling. But what about getting to the anchor, or, getting forward to handle lines when docking or going forward when locking thru a lock. We're really concerned about no side decks but otherwise happy to be getting an H260.
Thanks for your experience and ideas, Robert and Janis

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Hi, Robert and Janis,
You got a point there; the high fore deck, given by design, to achieve more cabin room around the ceiling. It's not without climbing to reach the deck in the front. The fixed boom maybe your help. You have to be very carful, it's unfortunately not a safe way to go.
Hart

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Welcome to the forum and to H260 ownership. My knees are wearing out on me which makes going forward, shall we say, challenging at times. I hold onto to the boom, the lifelines and the struts on either side of the mast. You'll figure it out in short order. Enjoy your boat and let us know how it works out for you.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Maybe you are considering the wrong boat. We are all getting older and generally less agile. If you think you are going to have issues getting around your deck now, it's only going be become more difficult in the future. Your concerns are justified. Add some hand holds and always wear a personal flotation device whenever you leave the cockpit.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Speaking of docking... We back into our slip. The walk through transom works a treat. We've also found that boarding anywhere else can be tricky with such a high freeboard. Leaving all the lines at the dock makes securing the boat pretty simple. The only line we take with us is the bow line since we can't reach the bow cleat while backed in. So we pull the line back to where we can get it before docking.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
...... I hold onto to the boom, the lifelines and the struts on either side of the mast. .....
Kermit alluded to some options.... and you also mentioned that you have roller furled head sail. I also have roller furled head sail and as a result, I have two unused halyards on my mast. I attache each to the stanchion post on the cabin bulkhead. It makes a very nice line to pull yourself up with.

Jun 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Bay city, mi
Thanks for all the help. We don't remember how much "head room" there is over the v berth. Jan isn't very tall and we wonder if it's a realistic idea to get to the bow via the forward hatch. Probably another a workable solution.... Bert and Jan

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for all the help. We don't remember how much "head room" there is over the v berth. Jan isn't very tall and we wonder if it's a realistic idea to get to the bow via the forward hatch. Probably another a workable solution.... Bert and Jan
That may be the safest option for those times you need to go forward. Besides not having good passage up to the bow, water ballast boats are very "tippy". The admiral is glad we moved to a fixed keel boat. Truth be told, we never used the Mac for what it was designed for.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Ok, the H260 is NOT a tippy boat. Learn to go forward safely. The only issue I have with climbing is my knees when they're acting up. I'm 5'10" and can almost stand straight in the cabin. I've entered through the forward hatch when I locked the keys inside. I'm here to tell you it was neither easy nor fun. But it worked. Even with the main halyard led aft you'll still have to go forward to untie the sail ties. Trust me in this. It's doable. You're solving an unknown problem without trying the normal way first.
And did I mention the H260 is NOT a tippy boat?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good suggestions but I use to leave the mainsheet tied to the stanchion when not sailing to assist going forward. You do have probably either a teak or white plastic plate cover on the cockpit coaming that you can stand on. It will depend which side you want to go up on depending if you are left or right handed. Lifeline and the boom will help too.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
No proven solutions yet but I have been thinking about this problem for some time for my H26...
a) a small flip-down step that stores up against the bulkhead; b) an extension to the stanchion near the cockpit, perhaps with a handle-type grip; c) a permanent arch over the companionway (similar to the arch used by the pop-up canvas cover, this would offer another handhold when coming down off the deck.

One fellow in our club upgraded his bimini structure to 1-inch SS tubing so that he could use it to steady himself when coming off the deck. It is quite rigid.

So far I have been managing ok but it doesn't get easier as the years go by.

Jan 19, 2010
And did I mention the H260 is NOT a tippy boat?
Compared to what? I find my H26 to be a lot more tender than the Balboa 26 I had before. But I like the cabin layout more. Always a trade off.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Compared to what? I find my H26 to be a lot more tender than the Balboa 26 I had before. But I like the cabin layout more. Always a trade off.
Not tippy to walk on. I'm really not comparing it to anything. I just don't find it tippy.

Jan 19, 2010
Not tippy to walk on. I'm really not comparing it to anything. I just don't find it tippy.
Yeah.... walking is not so bad. I find the H26 to be great until you get to about 15 mph wind and then you have to reef. That is kind of early for me but I'm getting used to it.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Yeah.... walking is not so bad. I find the H26 to be great until you get to about 15 mph wind and then you have to reef. That is kind of early for me but I'm getting used to it.
Silly me. I thought the whole question was about going forward. On your feet.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
It's actually how I wound up with my ship. The former owner's knees finally gave out and he just couldn't go forward any more. He even talked of buying a pontoon boat. Traitor. But he was a big man and I have taken notice of how soft the cockpit seat is where I step down from the deck. It's a lot trickier to get back down than to get up and I worry that I'll put a foot through the soft spot someday. So I tend to complicate the landing by stepping on the little cup holder, then onto the edge of the seat, rather than square in the middle. But then, I sure do like the roominess down below!