using pvc as a tarp frame over the lifelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
a sailboat with lifelines is hard to tarp.
but with a frame made from pvc pipe, it is a lot easier to do..

I cut slots in the pipe to fit the stanchions and then put spreaders in so when the tarp is snugged down it doesnt cause the stanchions to have inward pressure on them.... as the wind pressure against the tarp can be quite severe at times.
i used 2" and 1.5" pvc to construct it... and it tarps well with 2 smaller tarps, rather than one big one.

I should be able to get many years out of it and makes the tarping go fast and easy

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Very nice. The purpose of this is to be able to tarp your boat and have the tarp on a stable platform?

Feb 11, 2012
Great idea, my wife and I were talking about tapping our Bristol for winter and I was explaining how the snow buildup put extreme pressure on the stanchions. Your spreader solution may just be the ticket.

Don

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
OP, I use PVC supports over stanchions on my C30 to support a 20 x 40 blue tarp. Unlike your setup, I simply made five angled supports that slip over the stanchions (life lines removed) and rest over the mast. Sorry no pics yet.
Your system looks like over kill. A possible flaw with your system is that snow will collect in the large rectangular open portions and sag heavily. I remove the lifelines with my system allowing the weight of the snow to "landside" off the cover.
Another tip for all who use blue traps; I hang a line of sheets (the bed kind) all around the hull. Looks like I putting out laundry. Those blue traps will scuff the hell out of your hull and it's hard work getting those scuffs out. The sheets protect.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
in answer to couple points made...
the purpose is to give the tarp something to rest on other than a pointy stanchion, and to allow the tarp to hang without sags and wrinkles as it makes for an easier and better looking tarp job...

as for snow setting in the "square areas", there arent any square areas.... the spreaders are below the mast, so anything can get out forward if the tarp sags.
we dont get as much snow here as some other parts of the country do.
but the tarp peaks on the mast and then slopes to the lifeline supports.... if the bungies hold the tarp snug on that pitch, snow wont build up.
what you may not be able to see is that my mast is stowed higher off the deck than some are, due to the high taff rail, creating a good slope for the tarp...

and i dont have any problem with overkill.... i have 1 full length pvc runner up each lifeline, and 2 spreaders to install, and the mast is clean and smooth for the tarp to bed on, and the stanchions and lifelines are protected with a smooth surface for the tarp to lay over.... a 5 minute install and then pull the tarps into place.

but i like the idea of placing a protective barrier between the tarp and the hull.... a piece of visquene would probably work well....

Status
Not open for further replies.