Two Perplexing Engine Issue

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Good Morning All,

I have two strange engine issues I am hoping someone might have some insight on for our Universal M-25XPB. To give a little background, we have done some decent work to the engine over the last few months. This includes replacing the heat exchanger, raw water pump, freshwater pump, themostat, coolant flush, replacing the alternator, new dripless adapter, new cutlass bearing, checking the engine alignment, checking and painting the engine mounts, cleaning and painting the block along with the typical fluid, filter and belt changes.

Let's start with the alternator. Factory the boat comes with a 51 amp Motorola alternator. My factory alternator had failed 7-8 years ago, it had about 250 hours of use on it. I found the same part number cross referenced to the same alternator used on Mercruiser engines and could be bought for around $75. I didn't expect much from these cheap alternators but my first one lasted 5-6 years, about 600 hours of use. It failed while we were in the Bahamas, but I had bought another as a spare before we left to go cruising and just swapped it out. The spare lasted until about May of this year and then it died, so about 2-3 years, about 900 hours of use. I bought two more of these cheap ones and put one on. The first of this batch died this past weekend, so about 3 months, 50-60 hours of use. Nothing has changed that I am aware, but going through 2 alternators in 3 months has me a bit concerned.

Just a little background on my setup. I have a 4 AWG wire going from the output of the alternator to a service switch (Blue Sea Systems M-Series 6006) and then to the primary bank with an ANL fuse. The primary bank is four Trojan GC batteries in series and parallel for a 450 Ah bank. The bank was very low, about 55% SOC, when I started the engine and this last alternator blew after running for about 3 hours. Everything is working fine with the new alternator (the second from this batch of cheap ones) but I am probably going to go with a high output external regulated alternator before we leave STT to go cruising again. I want to make sure I'm not missing something that will damage a good, expensive alternator. I plan to take the blown alternator to a local shop to have them look at why it blew. So any suggestions on something I am missing or not checking?

My second problem is related to the engine. One issue with the new alternators is that I do need to adjust the tach. I haven't done that yet. But with the original alternator I would get to about 3,400 RPM in neutral full throttle, currently I am reading 2,600 but with the same sound and a little bit of black smoke when I go full throttle in neutral. When ever I leave the mooring I will go full throttle for a little bit (1-2 minutes) once heated up to "blow it out". This weekend we ran over to St. John for the long weekend. I didn't have any issues, motored (going to STJ form STT is dead into the trades and current) at 2,000 RPM for 3 hours with no issues. We were making between 5-6 knots over water (only 3.4 knots over ground at times because of the aforementioned trades and current), no a nice comfortable cruising speed for our boat at about 80% throttle. Temp was perfectly steady at 160 degrees. However when I did my full throttle it would go up to about 2,400 RPM, stay there for about 30 seconds and then rev down to about 2,000 RPM and stay there. I would bring the throttle down to 2,000 RPM (so no change except for throttle position) after about 30 seconds I would bring it back up to 2,400 RPM with the same result. It never stalled and never reved down below say 1,800 RPM. Fuel filter looked fine and is relatively new (about 20 hours) and the bottom and prop are spotless (just hauled last month and had dove to clean the prop before we left). On the mooring in neutral it didn't have this issue. I would go to full RPM and it would stay there. So any thoughts?

Thanks

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think you are burning up those alternators with that big house bank. A higher current capacity alternator is really just a higher thermal capacity alternator. Maybe the diodes burnt, maybe the windings burnt, who knows.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I think you are burning up those alternators with that big house bank. A higher current capacity alternator is really just a higher thermal capacity alternator. Maybe the diodes burnt, maybe the windings burnt, who knows.
Pretty much what I think. Just looking for some confirmation of my opinion.

Thanks

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Note also that if you go with a bigger alternator you should examine the mounting system and the belt size/capacity. I had a C36 with the Universal M25, and the stock mounting and belt size were marginal for anything over about 60A.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Adjusting the tach is simple. Get a $20 optical tach from harbor freight and a very very small straight slot screwdriver (think bobby pin size). Power up to 2500 rpm using the optical and adjust your tach to match. You might find the new ones have fewer lobes than the previous one giving you the delta in the tach readings.

If your tach has buttons instead of a screw hole you’ll have to get the manual for the magical incantation of power on and button pushes.
Les

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The change in tach speed with alternator change is probably due to a different number of poles in the alternator. Electronic tachs have an adjustment for this.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Adjusting the tach is simple. Get a $20 optical tach from harbor freight
This has been the problem. They don't ship to the US Virgin Islands. All the ones I find on Amazon won't ship here either. Its actually been difficult since the storms to get stuff like that. We have 4 auto parts stores on island and none of them have any available.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I am thinking you just had a defective alternator. I have about the same set up with batteries and have been using a replacement Mercruiser one after the original Mando failed a few years ago. But I don't put near the hours on that you do.

For the engine my first thought was flaky fuel, other than that I do not know.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I bought two more of these cheap ones and put one on. The first of this batch died this past weekend, so about 3 months, 50-60 hours of use. Nothing has changed that I am aware, but going through 2 alternators in 3 months has me a bit concerned.
Jesse,

I did the same thing many years ago. Two Delco bodies with
"guts" supplied from a guy in Iowa. They actually let these people vote?!?

Local (Oakland, CA) automotive alternator repair shop got both of the ones I bought repaired and actually increased the AO because the original vendor had not represented himself quite properly. Lies? You decide.

IIRC, you have your AO to the house bank, properly, and a combiner or VSR to the reserve bank.

I use SEM (Small Engine Mode) rather than the programming changes required otherwise. I'm sure you've read my contributions on this subject.

jviss is both right & wrong at the same time. I run a 100A alternator on a 3/8" belt with SEM. I can cut the AO to 50% of the rated output with a simple toggle switch. Larger alternators work better and cooler when properly managed.

I've found that keeping the output around 50% of the rated cold output of the alternator keeps the belt happy. Until about 75% SOC when I kick it back to full output.

I've just returned from four days and three nights "out." Small potatoes for you, but another "test" on my rant about "the steadily diminishing law of returns."

100 ah per day load. No solar. In one hour, running my M25 engine, at 1500 rpm, with SEM ON (i.e., only half of full AO) at 50% SOC of my 400 ah house bank, I can push back 30 ah in an hour. Keeps me going for three for four nights on the hook before I have to go plug in overnight, really FILL the house bank and take off again.

My read is that your best bet is to find an alternator repair shop and have them check them out.

I now have those two el cheapo alternators that were worked on by my old Oakland, CA guy and they remain serviceable. And working just fine.

I have also just finished LOGGING hourly amps and amp hours, last mini-cruise a week ago and this one, something I have ALWAYS known, but just decided to write it all down to CONFIRM what I thought I knew.

My load exceeds my input ability, but with SEM ON (i.e., full output) and at 1500 rpm , I can put back 30 ah in an hour. So, I run the engine for an hour every other day if I want to stay somewhere on the hook until I HAVE TO plug in somewhere.

But you know this stuff already. :)

You just need someone qualified to look at your alternator(s).

I think you're just fine. The case is always OK (usually) and just the bearings and diodes need to be looked at.
So any thoughts?
Try it again, repeatedly, and then let us know. I have almost 1,000 hours on my 30 micron Racor 26!!! 2,613 when changed, (eons ago), & now the engine hours are 3,500.00!!!

Unless you have injector/injector pump or fuel issues, I don't think you have a systemic issue, maybe just a one time glitch.

I know you know your stuff, stay with it, keep us posted.

Good luck, or happy alternator-repair-shop-hunting time. :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Same as ours was before Maine Sail fixed it. Little alternator couldn't stand the heat and stress of charging the big bank. New battery alternator, regulator, and drive belts got the charging in control then the tach started working again.

Just what Stu said while I was typing one finger.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Good luck, or happy alternator-repair-shop-hunting time. :)
Haha, that's easy because there is only one shop here. ;)

First it looks like we have to prepare for a possible hurricane.

Thanks for confirming some of my thoughts.

I hope your summer has gone well!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Any change in the alternator pulley diameter?