Registered users don't see ads

TV replacement project

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by RWSlater, Jan 24, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. RWSlater

RWSlater

Joined Nov 19, 2009
    195 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 45CC
    US PA Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
    So I buy a 2007 Hunter 45 CC and find out the OEM 23" Solé TV is not capable of receiving digital TV signals. The previous owner installed a digital TV antenna at the mast head but was never able to use that function. It plays DVDs and can display the chart plotter only. So bought a new Westinghouse 32" TV for $99 at Best Buy. I then removed the Solé off the wall bracket and discovered it uses an S-Video cable..UGH (that shows its age!) and the red and white audio RCA cables. Problem is the TV I bought doesn't have an S-Video connection (that shows its age also), but does have the VGA input and several HDMI inputs. So then I go on Amazon and buy an S-Video to HDMI adapter. Next problem was the bracket that mounted on the old TV was smaller than what would work on the new TV. So I fabricate a wooden mount and attach the old mount to it. Next problem was the power plug coming to the old Solé TV uses a plug similar to a power plug into a PC laptop, and the new TV uses a regular fixed two prong plug, so I go back on Amazon and get an adapter for that. I also bought a 1' VGA extension cord and already had a short coaxial cable to make sure it the cables will reach the new TV inputs (the cables in the boat are fixed and there no easy way to lenghening them). I'm waiting for the one VGA extension cord and will finish the assembly and take it down to the boat and give it a whirl. Any bets whether it all works???

Attached Files:

2. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,754 posts, 318 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    Been there. Stop beating yourself up. Get rid of the old DVD player and get a $30 Blu-Ray player with HDMI out. Eliminate the adapters, converters etc.

3. RWSlater

RWSlater

Joined Nov 19, 2009
    195 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 45CC
    Yeah I considered that but I dreaded the thought of pulling down the headliner and snaking new wires, and and and. ... I can't even see how the cables get from the DVD player and up to the ceiling. I invistioned screwing up the headliner, tearing it or not being able to get it back in place.

4. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,754 posts, 318 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    Oh right. Mine don't go in the ceiling. That's a problem.

5. Slipin Away

Slipin Away

Joined Jun 14, 2007
    88 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 45cc
    US Florida
    I ran new wires from Bose to TV external from port to starboard above and behind door in forward cabin and into light housing above sink, from inside wood housing I was able to drill a new hole behind TV and bring new wires

RWSlater likes this.
  6. RWSlater

RWSlater

Joined Nov 19, 2009
    195 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 45CC
    Well if this retrofit doesn't work, I may be doing that. I've got my fingers crossed it works

7. Benny17441

Benny17441

Joined May 24, 2004
    5,137 posts, 247 likes
    CC 30
    US South Florida
    All that is needed to receive a digital signal in an analog TV is a $20 converter box available from any online retailer. It connects between the coaxial antenna cable and the antenna input for the TV. It will require a 120V receptacle for the box which is easily serviced through an inverter or shore power. I do understand perhaps the need to upgrade the TV as it seems that every 4-5 years the technological advances make the older ones dull if not obsolete. We just went to a 4K Ultra High Definition TCL- Roku 32" for $125. A bit of an overkill with the WIFI streaming functions unavailable underway but perhaps within a couple of years we may have a hot spot on board. Sometimes it is best just to abandon old wiring and configure a new wiring scheme and installation.

RWSlater likes this.
  8. RWSlater

RWSlater

Joined Nov 19, 2009
    195 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 45CC
    All good information Benny, thanks very much. I think some day I will be putting in a newer DVD and will have to explore how to run the wiring. Hopefully this holds me over a little while until I get more comfortable with removing the headliner.

9. ChrisCRNA

ChrisCRNA

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    5 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 410
    - Kentucky Lake, Kentucky
    Did this work for you? We have a new to us 2006 45CC. We want to upgrade the tv as the Solé is very outdated. What kind of apadter did you get for the power cord.
    Thanks!

10. Jeff Jellick

Jeff Jellick

Joined Feb 16, 2012
    153 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 45 CC
    US Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
    Our 2005 Hunter 45 CC came with the same TV set-up. However the Sol'e TV furnished by Hunter was powered by a small inverter located on the starboard side inside of the forward cabin, (V berth), where the hanging locker is located.

Jeff

11. RWSlater

RWSlater

Joined Nov 19, 2009
    195 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 45CC
    It works great. I searched Amazon I believe (I just checked and can't find it now) but it was an adapter that was about 2 inches long and plugged into the OEM power cord from the ceiling, and the other end accepted the power cord that was connected from the TV.
    I only now wish I could get the audio from the TV to go through the Bose speakers in the main saloon area. I'm sure it can be done, I just hate having to get up into the headliner to run a new autio cable

12. RWSlater

RWSlater

Joined Nov 19, 2009
    195 posts, 9 likes
    Hunter 45CC

Cabinet catch for many Hunters
Used on a variety of Hunters from the Legend-era to present. In stock!
Hunter replacement stanchions
Replace for safety and appearance
Hunter props, shafts, struts, and cutless bearings
Power train parts for most every Hunter model, most in stock for fast shipment.
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990