Trailering woes

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Guide posts have worked best for me. I put four on our American-18 trailer and even my wife can get the boat on the center of the trailer single handed.
I like the forward guides. Thanks for sharing.

May 7, 2008
Hunter 23.5 Belton, Texas
Centering the boat!!

The Snaptraxx system sets up the boat perfectly. Just pull the boat in the guides and it centers itself with relative ease. Put the winch on and away you go. I think I have only had to re-center it once or maybe twice. Usually, it just slips right on. Best part is the Snaptraxx allows the boat to slide into place and then holds it there while you pull up the ramp.

Excellent investment, especially if you trailer a lot. Really easy on the bottom paint too!!

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I have to contribute here as an old-school guy with carpeted bunks and two wooden 2x6's as my bunks. I've also loaded my boat many, many times, alone.

First step, get the trailer in the water.
Second step, float the boat up onto it
Third step, take any slack out of the winch. Watch and see what direction the wind and water are taking the boat, left or right.

Fourth step. go to the finger on the side that the boat is moving away from. Run a line from the aft cleat of the boat, about 15-25 degrees forward of perpendicular, to the dock.

Using the winch post and the mast as your points of reference, get things centered using this line.

Pull forward, slowly!!! You can pull forward until that line you rigged up is now pointed about 15 degrees AFT of perpendicular.

If everything worked out right, the boat has enough weight on the bunks to stay in place, untie it from the dock and go.

No finger on the right side of the boat? I've attempted to rig a boat hook to do a similar thing. It was ugly. Deal with a crooked boat

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
generally speaking, when the bow of the boat is touching the forward section of the bunk boards, the bow will center itself with a little help from the outboard. Keeping the rest of the boat centered on the trailer then comes next. If the area is shallow, it will create some difficulty to loading up and same vice versa if the ramp is too steep. Another is of course if the ramp incline is not level or leaning to one side is another issue and it is that when many folks have a difficult time.

Once I was at a marina when the lake was flooded looking at an owner teaching the new buyer how to get the boat onto the trailer. The ramp was tilted and every time that the boat was line up what to appear be perfectly centered on the trailer, the boat came out cockeyed on the trailer as the trailer was leaning to one side. After about 45 minutes with both parties tired and worn out, I explained the trailer was not level causing the issue. I told them to put the boat onto the high side of the trailer and as they pulled the boat settled perfectly onto the bunk boards. The other issue was the ramp was steep to some degree and they could not understand why the bow would not nuzzle into the bow support perfectly on the trailer. I explained when you pull the trailer out, the trailer winch stand bow support in a sense goes down and away from the bow of the boat. Not a problem. Once the mast was down, I showed them on a level parking lot to move forward with the trailer, brake, tighten the winch strap doing this several times until the boat was all the way up on the trailer. He then asked who I was.

I spent another two hours going over mast raising and lowering and tying down. They understood not to put a tie down strap over the bow of the boat but only in the rear and turning the strap a couple of times to prevent wind slap. In addition, I explained tying the rudder up with an additional line for precaution and making sure the safety chain on the trailer winch stand was attached to the bow. At that point, I had a long drive home.

To my surprise was a check in the mail from the new buyer. To his surprise, it was returned voided with a note, help from another sailor and friend which payment is not necessary.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I'll at least get to buy you lunch, dinner, cold beer and anything other necessities, won't I?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I do not recommend a strap over the forward portion of the boat to secure to the trailer. You are forcing the bow of the boat down into the bunk boards stressing the hull with concern to the integrity of the interior lid to the water tank attached to the hull and the deck itself. I have seen damages as a result. Secure the rear with a two inch strap and to prevent wind slapping, twist each side a couple of times. Also make sure the safety chain is attached to the bow eye along with the winch strap and turn it to decrease the length of the chain so it will not slap into the hull when transporting. Hope this helps

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Haven't thought about that. My wife and I just got a 260 (first boat period) so we're getting it all figured out. Thanks for the advise.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Haven't thought about that. My wife and I just got a 260 (first boat period) so we're getting it all figured out. Thanks for the advise.
Sounds like you should join us when Uncle Crazy Dave comes to Wateree Lake in June.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Shows about 4.3 hours from ATL. We might have to put that on the agenda. Especially before a really mess something up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit;

If the center board is being jammed onto the keel tray, then the top of the centerboard is pressing against the top of the centerboard housing. Does the center board feel real tight or loose while sitting on the trailer as pictured above will determine the answer. Looking forward to meeting that Kermit as well as you. If the other fellow wants to come, he can learn from the two of us.

Saturday, moved all the furniture off the first floor as hardwood flooring being redone and added. Also new carpet. even found time to mow and weed. My hands are now barking orders which are ouch! I may be an old fart but young at heart or hart. Will call you week after next.

see if jwilcoxon78 wants to come. I will be out of computer, phone, cell phone, tv range and all that wonderful communication for a few days this week. Is that an ugh or heaven?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I think Crazy Dave's trip to South Carolina might have actually paid off. Another sailing club member and I loaded my H260 on the trailer yesterday. All he did was hold the stern line closest to the dock as I floated the boat onto the trailer using the bow line. When it was all said and done, the other guy told me I basically loaded the boat by myself. Pretty dang good feeling! Having a nice level trailer is the biggest key. That and having the trailer at the proper depth. And having a friend there who would have helped me had I gotten into a pickle. Next I'm gonna see if I can do it without any help at all. Thanks, Dave!!!!!

Jun 24, 2011
Gypsea Kids Hunter 260 Trenton ON, Canada
The keel guide is a great mod. I put one on mine. That said I find that I usually have to get the boat on the trailer as best as I can, bring it out and drain the ballast, close off the ballast then back the trailer in again to fine tune the boat onto the trailer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Make sure you have the centerboard all the way up and you will hear a klunk as it comes to the top of the centerboard housing. IF not, readjust the lines until you do as it can cause in some cases the boat from coming off the trailer during launch.

Jul 17, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Chesapeake Bay
Ahoy, Did you ever get a video of the loading procedure that was discussed? I think that I need trailer loading help for my 23.5 and I'm too far away for Crazy Dave to drop by.

The problem with draining and fine tuning is that it is difficult to do when there are 15 drunken hillbillies waiting to launch bass boats and 'Dueling Banjos' is playing in the background..... "he got a real pretty mouth ain't he?" :eek:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
No video. It was just the 2 of us. Keep the trailer as level as possible and deep enough to float the boat on. Those hillbillies might respond to beer if you ask for help.

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
My other boat is a 20' Champion bass boat with a 250 on it, LOL.

Oh, and I respond to beer... :)