Trailering Cat 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Ries

I am looking to buy either a Catalina 25 or a Catalina 27. I plan on trailering the boat quite a bit and I'm wondering if the 27 is too big to trailer often (is is very hard to step the mast, will I need a tow truck to pull it etc.). Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

P

patrick e. boole

tabernacling

you might consider tabernacling your mast insted of unstepping it if you are going to do this a lot. after the mast is lowered you can pull the pin and with a few quick release pins you can reposition the mast even on the deck. if you are towing long distances you will need a truck that is suited for the load. check with your dealer and he will pull some charts that will tell you what rear end and engine size would be best. i have a cat 27 but never trailered it. i have trailered a 23 ericson and you need steel nerves to pull them over hills or rough roads. i haul 8-10 horses in a rather larger trailer and i use a chevy 3500 series one ton pickup. the engine is 454 and the rear end is 4:11. hope this helps some.

E

Ed Knebel

laws

The Catalina 27 is alot of boat to trailer, you will need a custom trailer, and alot of water at the ramp(will probably have to use a lift). Remember you must add the distance from the ground to the rollers of the trailer(1-2 feet) plus the draft of the boat 4.5 feet. Very few if any ramps will have that much water. Then you come to the problem of over 8 feet beam, needing permits(see http://www.lnk.sramarketing.com/automatic/tips/laws.html).

Status
Not open for further replies.