Trailer for WING Keel

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hi all
After years of various boats, I have finally purchased a Catalina 22 WING Keel. The purchase did not include a trailer so I am contracting a local trailer builder to fabricate one for me. I need to provide him with dimensions and cannot find them. I have searched this forum and others and can only find basic, general information. I am in hopes that someone in the great big World Wide Web would have this information.
Specifically, he has asked me to bring him the following:

Keel placement on trailer (to carry keel load)
Axle location
Length of trailer from winch to rear
Height of bunks (and length)
Width of Bunks (front and rear)
Height of Bunks (this one I think I can calculate but otherwise...)

If anyone has this data, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance
Ken
Texas

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I believe Trail-Rite in California used to provide "factory" trailers for Catalina. Maybe they could make you one, or provide the specs.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Doug
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if they will give me the data to have someone else build a trailer for me, but as a last resort I may give it a shot. My preference is to have the trailer built locally.

I'm beginning to think that dimensions for this trailer are the best kept secret of the Universe!

Thanks
Ken

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Ken, years ago I had a swing keel then bought a wing keel without trailer so I took my swing keel trailer then raised the bunks and added a flat support for the wing. I hade no dimentions but I remember the bunks were raised 8 inches maybe you could start with looking into a swing keel trailer? If the boat is out of the water that would help in measuring

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Watercolors
Thanks for the diagram! I have a question...are your bunks parallel or tapered from rear to front? The bunks being 27" from centerline look about 35 degrees from level so if we build in about 10 degrees of adjustment maybe we will be OK. As a confession, my son is the trailer builder. He strives to make EVERYTHING on the money...a technical genius that can use a welder! Nice to have an engineer in the family!

Thank you for taking time to provide this data!

Ken

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi All
Thanks for the input on the trailer build. After giving this idea more thought I have decided to just purchase a new trailer. My earlier research had taken me to the website of "Sail Trailers" in Columbus, Ga.

A quick search on this forum gave me reason to think this is a great company to deal with (all positive comments). After calling and speaking with Spencer, I have decided that a new trailer will be my best option.

Thanks
Ken

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ken,

Its a lesson that might be past your ability to take advantage of, but as a rule, trailerable boats WITHOUT trailers are often a very poor value vis-a-vis the same boat with a trailer. The initial used-boat cost differential is often negligible, and the discount you get for not having a trailer never comes close to covering the cost of a new trailer. As you have probably found, nobody wants to part with their trailer. Same deal with the Beni First 235.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for the advice...and it's well taken! I agree that a boat with trailer would be nice but I wanted this particular boat...at (almost) any cost. There are times that value is hard to determine. After all, a trailer is as easy as writing a check! Then I will have the desirable item!:)

Ken,

Its a lesson that might be past your ability to take advantage of, but as a rule, trailerable boats WITHOUT trailers are often a very poor value vis-a-vis the same boat with a trailer. The initial used-boat cost differential is often negligible, and the discount you get for not having a trailer never comes close to covering the cost of a new trailer. As you have probably found, nobody wants to part with their trailer. Same deal with the Beni First 235.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for the advice...and it's well taken! I agree that a boat with trailer would be nice but I wanted this particular boat...at (almost) any cost. There are times that value is hard to determine. After all, a trailer is as easy as writing a check! Then I will have the desirable item!:)
:) I TOTALLY get that!

I have shown an amazing ability to rationalize ANYTHING I want bad enought!

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Sooo, how bout some tasty details on this boat that has captured your heart link none other! ?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Something very important to consider. The factory recommends a wing keel C-22 trailer should support approximately 80% of the boat weight resting on the keel, the remaining is supported by the bunks and the forward bow roller. Trail-Rite has built more C-22 trailers than anyone else, and they have this figured out. They also design their their C-22 wing keel trailers where the extendable tongue is angled so the boat is at a slightly higher angle to aid in launching and recovery. They are the only trailer that I've seen that incorporate this design.

Don

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Don
Thanks for the info! I have read on other (and this) forum that 60% of the keel should be resting on the trailer. In the interest of getting this correct, do you know of a good source for this info? If I can get documentation of the correct percentage, it should be possible to obtain the actual weight that is resting on the keel pad.

Thanks
Ken

Something very important to consider. The factory recommends a wing keel C-22 trailer should support approximately 80% of the boat weight resting on the keel, the remaining is supported by the bunks and the forward bow roller. Trail-Rite has built more C-22 trailers than anyone else, and they have this figured out. They also design their their C-22 wing keel trailers where the extendable tongue is angled so the boat is at a slightly higher angle to aid in launching and recovery. They are the only trailer that I've seen that incorporate this design.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Ken, I'd be keenly interested in hearing how things went with Sail Trailers when the deal is done. I too might be interested in buying my way into the trailer o' my dreams, if my search for the right used one goes on fruitlessly long enough.

Please do give us a report!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Hi Don
Thanks for the info! I have read on other (and this) forum that 60% of the keel should be resting on the trailer. In the interest of getting this correct, do you know of a good source for this info? If I can get documentation of the correct percentage, it should be possible to obtain the actual weight that is resting on the keel pad.

Thanks
Ken
My mistake.....:redface: it's 60%, What was I thinking? :naughty:

Don

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Gene
I will keep you updated. As luck would have it, I have stumbled upon a near perfect galvanized trailer that was used for a center console powerboat. I am now faced with the temptation of modifying this trailer to fit my boat. With a small amount of welding, I could wind up with a trailer(equipped with brakes) and NEW tires for way under $1000.

The major advantage to this option would mean that I could have a trailer available in a few days AND at my current location. Although I feel that Sail Trailer's prices are very reasonable, there is the small matter of an 800 mile drive to pick it up...

As promised, I will provide updates of this saga...

Ken

Ken, I'd be keenly interested in hearing how things went with Sail Trailers when the deal is done. I too might be interested in buying my way into the trailer o' my dreams, if my search for the right used one goes on fruitlessly long enough.

Please do give us a report!

Dec 23, 2014
Catalina C-22 Wing Keel (1988) #14477 Dana Point, CA
I happen to be in Southern California so I called Trail-Rite for giggles. $3891 for a galvanized wing keel trailer. Sandblasting and painting your old trailer runs about $80 per foot, about $1600. Plus anything else that needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Sounds like a new galvanized trailer is the way to go.