The project moves forward...

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
First I want to say thanks to all of my fellow C22 owners who have shared pics of their restoration or upgrade projects. I have been mainly just a lurker here for quite a while now. But your pics have shown a quality of craftsmanship that is inspiring.
My boat is a 1975 model, hull number 5137, formerly named "Catch 22". When I got it back in 2002, we spent several weeks just cleaning it up so we could use it. It had lived life formerly as my uncle's race boat, but for the previous 5 years had just been sitting due to his health issues.
When we finally did get it to the lake, we discovered it had a myriad of issues that prevented us from using it. So, I decided that I would do a full restoration. Little did I know how long it would take to complete! Life sometimes gets in the way, and other priorities take your time away from things like this, like job changes, or starting a business, even shifted interests.
But we are getting back on it again, and the progress has been really encouraging. I'm attaching some pics so you can see the progress. And will post more in this thread as we go along. Hope you enjoy them. I don't profess to be a craftsman like some of you are, but I'm just looking forward to getting it done, and using a boat that I can proudly say that I restored.
I welcome your comments, and encourage you to share your wisdom!

Attachments

Feb 24, 2014
1978 Catalina 22 Lake of the Woods, Ont
Looking forward to seeing the progress on your boat. Once the weather warms enough I will be starting work on my new to me 1978.

May 6, 2011
Catalina C-22 Lake Texoma
Restoring C22 74 4505

First I want to say thanks to all of my fellow C22 owners who have shared pics of their restoration or upgrade projects. I have been mainly just a lurker here for quite a while now. But your pics have shown a quality of craftsmanship that is inspiring.
My boat is a 1975 model, hull number 5137, formerly named "Catch 22". When I got it back in 2002, we spent several weeks just cleaning it up so we could use it. It had lived life formerly as my uncle's race boat, but for the previous 5 years had just been sitting due to his health issues.
When we finally did get it to the lake, we discovered it had a myriad of issues that prevented us from using it. So, I decided that I would do a full restoration. Little did I know how long it would take to complete! Life sometimes gets in the way, and other priorities take your time away from things like this, like job changes, or starting a business, even shifted interests.
But we are getting back on it again, and the progress has been really encouraging. I'm attaching some pics so you can see the progress. And will post more in this thread as we go along. Hope you enjoy them. I don't profess to be a craftsman like some of you are, but I'm just looking forward to getting it done, and using a boat that I can proudly say that I restored.
I welcome your comments, and encourage you to share your wisdom!

Looks like you are making good progress! I started by project three weeks ago with a highly neglected 74 that the previous owner had started the restore process by removing almost all of the hardware with I received in a bucket- most not reusable. The first several weeks I sanded and power grinded as much of the old paint(?) as I could. The color had faded to a combination of pink, salmon, red etc to various degrees. This past week I followed up with Three coats of Interlux PreKote with fine sanding in between. The primer alone improved the appearance greatly and Prekote did an excellent job of filling in a number of fine cracks that were in the original gel coat. I should of added that I first action was a through pressure wash before sanding. I removed the Pop Top and pressure washed- what is your attack plan going forward?

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I have focused my attention so far on the fiberglass repairs: spider cracks; collision damage; drilling and filling the hardware mounting holes; repairing a rip in the companionway step; fixing the bow eye (aka "dock proximity sensor" in its previous life!); repairing the sliding companionway hatch (top and slides); filling and fairing scratches and gouges; filling all the screw holes under the rub rail; injecting resin into voids in the deck (it wasn't soft, just sounded hollow when tapped with a tool). I have finally gotten to the final sanding stage prior to painting!!!!! To me this is huge. This was one of those projects that had snowballed on me, and the further I got into it, the further I had to go! Finding time to work on it has been even more of a challenge than actually doing the work.
Prior to painting it, there are a couple more pieces of hardware that need to come off: the traveler bar and the gudgeons. I'll probably remove the registration plate as well, just so that we can get the paint to look as close to factory or at least like we paid for it to be done! I had bought all the paint needed shortly after I decided to restore it. Spent about a grand just on paint. But now, 10+ years later, don't know if it would still be good. I would really hate it if I painted the whole boat and the paint never cured for instance, that would be a huge setback. So I'll probably be buying more paint again. I also have a sizeable list of stuff that I'll be ordering from Catalina direct, which I'll share more details from later.
It is cool doing a restoration like this yourself, because so much of you goes into the project, and there is nearly unlimited possibilities for customization.
I really like an article that I read recently in either Cruising World or Sail magazine on installing LED strip lighting in the cabin. Seems fairly simple and low cost, so I'll probably be doing that too.
Just can't wait to get her done!

Jerry

May 6, 2011
What type of paint are you using? I believe my Interlux Prekote and Brightside so far has run about $200 bucks. I decided against Perfection as a two part because my experience with the a Jet ski that I restored that the cure time was short enough that I was concerned about doing small sections at a time and how the finish would look it was not one continuous application. The deck will be next as I will need to remove all 4 layers of paint. Grey, Blue, red, yellow all flaking off at different rates.

kb3pgo

Jan 20, 2014
Clark Boats San Juan 28 Watkins Glen
I just finished my repair of the dock proximity sensor on my 1973. This was my first fiberglass repair. I also installed the CD bow eye thing with the SS plate. I like the looks of it. I need to do more painting but it will have to wait till after the sailing season.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I had purchased a couple gallons each of InterProtect 2000E, Epoxy Barrier Kote, Interthane Plus, and one of VC Offshore. Been staring at it sitting on a shelf in my office for a long time now! I keep going back and forth between keeping it and using it or being too afraid it might be bad by now. It has been inside in conditioned space the entire time I've had it, and has never been opened. I have 4 Sunfish type boats that I may just use it on, as they need refinishing too, and if the paint doesn't work well, I'd rather they be the ones I have to redo.

On a more positive note, though, I placed an order with CD for a bunch of stuff, and am looking forward to getting it in like a kid at Christmas! I am planning to get one of those Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke outboards that Cap'n Don and others speak so highly of. So one of the items that I ordered was a new motor mount. I don't think the old one was up to the task. But if anyone wants it, it will be available.

Also glad to know mine isn't the only boat out there that had a defective dock proximity sensor! Mine had failed to notify the previous owner of the approaching dock frequently enough that it had taken to hiding from the dock just inside the bow! And I don't think the bow appreciated it either! So the armor plating that CD offers to protect the bow is a good idea, and should make sure the 'sensor stands its ground!

The biggest frustration is working boat time into my schedule. We've been working round the clock so often with my business and with multiple commitments on the weekends that I feel guilty taking time to go work on it. In fact, for these and many other reasons I'm considering changing the name of my boat to "Time Out"! Not sure what the official process is to change a boat's name, but if it matters, it has never been launched since we've owned it.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I just got most of my order from Catalina Direct. I feel like a kid at Christmas!
Planning to start painting the boat this Sunday, maybe sooner if I can break away from work!

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Spent the entire day sanding and cleaning. Had hoped to get started on the painting, but there was more sanding left than I remembered. But my wife and I made good progress on it today. I'm hoping to be able to take tomorrow off so I can continue.

Mar 5, 2014
none 0 0
Our boat had the same color scheme prior to my project begining. Glad you got a day off to work on the boat. I'm get to do the same this Friday, making it a three day weekend. Thank goodness my wife is as interested in the boat as I am. She keeps us on track.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I was able to spend the entire day working on the boat today, and tomorrow it looks like I can start painting! Today I finished all the sanding, a few minor touch ups to the fiberglass, did the solvent wash, and masked off the waterline, so it's ready to get painted! This represents what seems to me to be a very significant milestone in the rehab of this boat. I know the painting will take at least 4 days to complete, but once done, the fun of rebuilding her begins!

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Third day in a row spent on the boat and she's starting to show some progress. Put nearly 2 full coats of paint on everything above the waterline on the outside of the boat. Took a lot longer than expected, but that seems to be par for the course! Bonus is that the paint that I have on hand is fine! *dance*!
I kind of like the battleship grey look that the second coat has. I know it won't stay that way, but it makes for a cool contrast.

Attachments

May 6, 2011
Question about removing teak?

Third day in a row spent on the boat and she's starting to show some progress. Put nearly 2 full coats of paint on everything above the waterline on the outside of the boat. Took a lot longer than expected, but that seems to be par for the course! Bonus is that the paint that I have on hand is fine! *dance*!
I kind of like the battleship grey look that the second coat has. I know it won't stay that way, but it makes for a cool contrast.
I am almost complete with my deck sanding and grinding- I discovered 5 coats of different color paint. I have a question for you. How did you removed the companionway teak? I can't find screws etc it appears to epoxied to the cabin.

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
Screws on from inside

Starrynights, they are attached by screws from the inside of the bulkhead, the screws are hidden by the teak trim on the inside, once you remove the trim you will see the screws.untitled 001 20080921.jpg :)

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Thanks Barry, I thought that's how it was, but I couldn't remember, its been over 11 years since I started this project! At least I put all the hardware in bags with labels. But still could prove interesting once I start putting everything back together.

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
As you can see my boat is upside down. It has been that way for almost 6 years. I am recoreing the foredeck and keep getting sidetracked, Ian determined to get it back in the water before July. There is a thread in the archives on flipping my boat and my early progress of the recore.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Wow Barry, I think I remember seeing the images of someone doing that about that long ago. It was probably yours! How much work is left to do on it before you can launch?

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Heading back out to paint the boat today...
For what it's worth, we decided to go with Brightside paint for the finish coat. They no longer make Interthane Plus paint, so I didn't want to get partway through the project and not be able to match paint if we needed more.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Primer stage nearly finished.

Attachments