The North Pole is moving!

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
There was also usually a statement to the effect "variation changes +x degrees per year", such that you also had to check the date the chart was printed and add or subtract additional variation to your calculations
What astounds me is that comparing today's chart of my area to one from way back the yearly change in variation seems to have reversed direction

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Actually, magnetic North never moves. The Earth shifts around it. For that matter, so does the whole solar system and galaxy as well. Pretty amazing really. ;)

-Will ("satyrist", Dragonfly)
Lol, this is along the same lines of sunrise and sun set times... welcome to the 10th century :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think you have a condition known to professionals as
“Equatorially Challenged”.
I think it's a syndrome known as ECS.

There is no cure, only control.

Symptoms include (but not limited to): bringing out the Champaign at inappropriate times while sailing anywhere between the equator and one of the poles, pointing out constellations in the sky you have no idea what their names are, and not knowing which direction your toilet bowl swirls in. Oh yeah, and needing a bigger belt.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I was very surprised, on my first long sail, to have been able to see the north star and the southern cross at the same time when we were about 3/4 way across the Gulf of Mexico, heading to Isla Mujeres , Mx .. I didn't think I'd be able to see the cross until much further south..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I didn't think I'd be able to see the cross until much further south..
Actually it normally seen below the Tropic of Cancer [Lat 20° N], but harder to plot the South pole since it is low on the Southern horizon. Sometimes on a clear night and in the Winter, Lat 35° N.
But...
You can get General Direction of South, when Polaris is obscured.
Jim...

PS: Don't be a Little Dipper either!:pimp:

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
2) Can you observe, at night, the Southern Cross and North star at the Equator?
I can at least attest to being able to see both from about 17.5 degrees (St. Croix).
Here was the view of the Southern Cross
8C6824FF-B7C2-48F6-AD91-3A883ACB15B2.jpeg
using SkyView a couple of weeks ago. You can’t be too close to any obstructions due to it being relatively low on the horizon. Polaris is also visible, but it is somewhat lower in the sky than it appears from farther north.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
using SkyView a couple of weeks ago ...
I was recently looking through all the stargazing apps on my phone ... There were so many of them, I couldn't choose one. Guess I have a starting place now. Thanks! :thumbup:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The world is flat. Then there is Canada.
What I noticed was no one was smiling in that video.:(

We're waiting for the frantic phone call
Must be a loss of the cellular service "at end of the world".

Make sure you have plenty of anchor rode, so you can drop it just before going off the edge.
Jim...

PS: Does an anchor drop faster at the Equator or near a pole?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is the concern about the Boundry Passage. Is it a cliff? Or a wall?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
PS: Does an anchor drop faster at the Equator or near a pole?

Gravity map.
"Gravity is often assumed to be the same everywhere on Earth, but it varies because the planet is not perfectly spherical or uniformly dense. In addition, gravity is weaker at the equator due to centrifugal forces produced by the planet’s rotation. It’s also weaker at higher altitudes, further from Earth’s centre, such as at the summit of Mount Everest."
From: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24068-gravity-map-reveals-earths-extremes/
"Mount Nevado Huascarán in Peru has the lowest gravitational acceleration, at 9.7639 m/s2, while the highest is at the surface of the Arctic Ocean, at 9.8337 m/s2"
"These differences mean that in the unlikely event that you found yourself falling from a height of 100 metres at each point, you would hit the surface in Peru about 16 milliseconds later than in the Arctic. "

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There is the concern about the Boundry Passage. Is it a cliff? Or a wall?
Passage. They could have named it Boundary Fall Off the End of the Earth Passage, but that probably took too much calligraphy space on the chart.

Edit; I just walked over to get the mail, and the North Pole is unmoved this morning, and it wasn't brushed off either, so today it's a navigation hazard.