The Hoyt Jib Boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
catalina 310 charlottes cove tasmania
Hi Paul j, photos of the Hoyt jib boom installation,the stainless steel support is 100mmx100mmx6mm angle with a side gusset welded to it that allows you to bolt directly to the anchor winch support.This take any downward force fron th boom. The cleat under has been moved forward near the other inspection port. As you can see there are no bolts showing in the main cabin,they all just fit between the timber and the f/glass anchor locker wall.
There is no flex in the deck.
cheers Curlew

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
curlew

Well some times sailing between the islands, I wish I had something like that............not as agile as I used to be or think I am.

Anyway nice job and thanks for the pictures.

paulj :troll:

Oct 1, 2008
catalina 310 # 22 sausalito
Curlew, very courious how Hoyt jib boom is working out. Lewmar showes 3 sizes on their site, what size did you get. It looks is if you did a cut out on your anchor llocker cover in order to close around base jib boom, does this leak into locker? Any other tips or insites would be appricated

Jim Lewitt Catalina 310 # 22, Sausalito,Ca

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
Hi Jim,
The Hoyt Jib boom is fabulous for short handed sailing, tacking and gybing is so easy now,and hardly any winching ,the 2 to 1 jib sheet makes it easy too.
I used the 3 inch diameter tube and I think that is the right size for strength. There is no flexing in the deck at all . Gybing in 25 knots is effortless.Sometimes you have to give the sheet a bit of a tweak to get the boom to swing over mainly in light winds.
I had the No2 headsail cut down to accomodate the boom,which was a mistake ,really would have been better off with a new sail .I intend to replace the sail next season with a much fuller roach with roller furler battens.
Having said that the boat still performs well and points higher than before.
The boom needs to be positioned as far forward as possible,unfortunately,the anchor well hatch is in the way,and if you position the deck fitting aft of the hatch,it would not be as efficient,when running. I would have liked it further forward but i did not want to lose access to the anchor windlas.
water can enter the anchor well hatch but it drains overboard , water will always enter through the chain exit hole on the hatch anyway.
Hope this info helps,its a worthwhile addition especially if you sail shorthanded.the boat is very well balanced with this rig .
Cheers Curlew

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Another Mounting Way

Would it have been possible to beef up the anchor locker cover and the hinges and mount the jib boom right to that on the front part? Not thinking that is for me, but just curious.

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
Hi Ray,
Yes I did contemplate beefing up the anchor locker lid, but it meant not being able to open it with the jib boom attached.
Cheers Curlew

Oct 1, 2008
catalina 310 # 22 sausalito
Hi Jim,
The Hoyt Jib boom is fabulous for short handed sailing, tacking and gybing is so easy now,and hardly any winching ,the 2 to 1 jib sheet makes it easy too.
I used the 3 inch diameter tube and I think that is the right size for strength. There is no flexing in the deck at all . Gybing in 25 knots is effortless.Sometimes you have to give the sheet a bit of a tweak to get the boom to swing over mainly in light winds.
I had the No2 headsail cut down to accomodate the boom,which was a mistake ,really would have been better off with a new sail .I intend to replace the sail next season with a much fuller roach with roller furler battens.
Having said that the boat still performs well and points higher than before.
The boom needs to be positioned as far forward as possible,unfortunately,the anchor well hatch is in the way,and if you position the deck fitting aft of the hatch,it would not be as efficient,when running. I would have liked it further forward but i did not want to lose access to the anchor windlas.
water can enter the anchor well hatch but it drains overboard , water will always enter through the chain exit hole on the hatch anyway.
Hope this info helps,its a worthwhile addition especially if you sail shorthanded.the boat is very well balanced with this rig .
Cheers Curlew
Curlew, Just got my hoyt jib boom, next step is to fabricate base. a few questions. From your picture it appears that you left about one foot from the end of the boom to the mast, any reason you did not extend it further.
Does the boom clear the lifelines when winged out, would you have raised the base a bit higher if you were to do it again ? any other insites would be appricated, thanks again Jiim Lewitt, Sausalito

Status
Not open for further replies.