Registered users don't see ads

Shakey shakey Prop Mystery -Hunter 34

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by markwbird, Mar 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    804 posts, 142 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    I have a mystery. Recently a crew member slammed the tranny into gear while it was running fast. Instant heavy vibration. I had my diver remove the Martec folding prop and put on the fixed prop. Upon inspection of the Martec prop it appeared to be in perfect condition. The vibration with the fixed prop is different but still there. When the engine is first started there is some squeaking from under the boat but relatively minor vibration. This only happens while in gear. Reverse or forward. After about 10 minutes it gets bad. The engine shakes like an out of balance washing machine at about 1500 rpm. I pulled the boat and there is no obvious sign of damage. Nothing loose. No visible bend in the shaft. A small amount of play in the cutlass bearing.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,925 posts, 479 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    His slamming it into gear may have shifted your motor mounts. Have your shaft alignment checked.

3. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,754 posts, 487 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    And check the mounts as well. The shock may have torn the rubber loose from the steel in the mount

4. MitchM

MitchM

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    586 posts, 71 likes
    Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32
    US Erie PA
    get rid of that crew too. unless it is the spouse..

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.