Sailrite LSZ-1 vs Reliable Barracuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetass

Mar 9, 2011
CS 36T Seattle
I'm looking for recommendations on a new sewing machine for canvas and maybe a bit of sail work. I think I finally killed my wifes machine (a Viking 6570) and even though I think I can get it fixed, she isn't going to let me use it anymore ;-(.

I have heard a good amount about the Sailrite LSZ-1 ($899), but I just noticed there is a much cheaper, but very similiar machine sold from Defender ($499) called a Barracuda. I was wondering if anyone knows much about this machine and how it stacks up to the LSZ-1?

Reliable Barracuda - http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|5948|1526579&id=1526428
Sailrite LSZ-1 - http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LSZ-1-Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine

Guess Im looking for help comparing reliability, strength (Can it plow through several layers of canvas), and support (replacement parts).

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
I'm looking for recommendations on a new sewing machine for canvas and maybe a bit of sail work. I think I finally killed my wifes machine (a Viking 6570) and even though I think I can get it fixed, she isn't going to let me use it anymore ;-(.

I have heard a good amount about the Sailrite LSZ-1 ($899), but I just noticed there is a much cheaper, but very similiar machine sold from Defender ($499) called a Barracuda. I was wondering if anyone knows much about this machine and how it stacks up to the LSZ-1?

Reliable Barracuda - http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|5948|1526579&id=1526428
Sailrite LSZ-1 - http://www.sailrite.com/Ultrafeed-LSZ-1-Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine

Guess Im looking for help comparing reliability, strength (Can it plow through several layers of canvas), and support (replacement parts).

Thanks!
Go with the Sail-rite, get the power wheel ! You can add all the other optional goodies later.
You will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!!...Easy to repair find parts....Excellent company support from Sail-rite. Worth every penny spent!!! If they had a shop near me I would be banging on their door for a job!

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I love my LSZ-1 and I got it for less than the $899. I think I ended up paying $749. I found a better price at a reseller and Sailrite matched the price.

And it comes with a very handy storage box. A real necessity for storing on the boat.

The other thing you get with the Sailrite is excellent customer support. I have no knowledge of the Barracuda but I am pretty sure Defender does not have support for the machine. Nothing against Defender, it is just not what they do.

http://www.amapparelsupply.com/serv...etail?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Hi Wetass,

I have a Barracuda and am very happy with it, it seems to be the same as the LZ-1 other than color.

The reason I say that a friend of mine has an LZ-1, and getting ready for a two year plus cruise he was loading the boat and the latch popped on the case as he swung the LZ-1 over the side and it it hit the winch bending, and breaking some parts. this was on the afternoon and he was leaving at daylight the next morning.

I was going to give him my Barracuda to use on the cruise, and repair his, I had mine mounted on a table with a clutch motor. Getting ready to change motors Tom said the look the same, looking closely we desided to just take the bent parts out of his and replace then with parts from mine.

The parts interchanged perfectly, even the cast in part numbers matched.

This isn't ment to knock Sailrite, the have extreemly good service and I buy alot of things from them. I think that they tune up their machines before they sell them and back them to the hilt.

Fred Villiard

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Sailrite has a better warranty. Is the Reliable a Chinese knock-off or are they the same machine manufactured for two different companies'? Maybe Reliable makes them for Sailrite? Sailrite has not manufacturing facility that I know of.

wetass

Mar 9, 2011
CS 36T Seattle
Thanks Tim, Fred and onecoolair!

Looks like I may have a tough decision to make. It sounds like they may be based on the same machine, with the sailrite having more tuning, a box, a better warranty and better support, but a $250 or so premium.

It would be nice to know if they truly are the same basic unit... Guess I'll be doing some more research ;-)

Thanks again for the responses!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
We love our Sailrite machine. Very powerful. The wife is even making some side money fixing biminis and dodgers.

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
My guess is that Reliable might make them for Sailrite.

Sailrite's case is very nice if you need portable, just be sure that the latches are latched before you pick it up.

Fred Villiard

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
My guess is that Reliable might make them for Sailrite.

Sailrite's case is very nice if you need portable, just be sure that the latches are latched before you pick it up.

Fred Villiard
I have always been leery of those latches so I added a strap to mine that goes all the way around the case and through the handle.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
sewing

I went thru the same problem as you about 3 years ago. My girlfriends machine quit. I bought a cheap portable at sears for $80 and it was too week for me. It would sew clothes but not jeans or canvas. I listened to some people and bought a "heavy duty" used machine. Had it serviced and it never was right, besides it wasn't much more "heavy duty" than the cheap new one. I looked at commercial machines, driving miles and miles to demo them, but they were so fast that they were scary! I looked at sailrite and did alot of online research, craigs list, ebay, etc. I ended up buying a new reliable barracuda. It is not fancy but it gets the job done. Has enough power to sew through 4-6 layers of sunbrella, has a walking foot and zigzag stitch.
I have used it a fair amount, cockpit cushions, bimini's, and even restitched my tired and worn out mainsail. It did'nt like going thru reinforcements though and would sometimes jam the needle. I have kept it oiled and thats it. never any problems once thread and bobbin tension were adjusted. so do what you need to do. Buy the sailrite if money is not a big factor. I wonder if parts are interchangeable...if i can purchase the cabinet and power wheel from sairite to enhance my machine alittle, hmm?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I went thru the same problem as you about 3 years ago. My girlfriends machine quit. I bought a cheap portable at sears for $80 and it was too week for me. It would sew clothes but not jeans or canvas. I listened to some people and bought a "heavy duty" used machine. Had it serviced and it never was right, besides it wasn't much more "heavy duty" than the cheap new one. I looked at commercial machines, driving miles and miles to demo them, but they were so fast that they were scary! I looked at sailrite and did alot of online research, craigs list, ebay, etc. I ended up buying a new reliable barracuda. It is not fancy but it gets the job done. Has enough power to sew through 4-6 layers of sunbrella, has a walking foot and zigzag stitch.
I have used it a fair amount, cockpit cushions, bimini's, and even restitched my tired and worn out mainsail. It did'nt like going thru reinforcements though and would sometimes jam the needle. I have kept it oiled and thats it. never any problems once thread and bobbin tension were adjusted. so do what you need to do. Buy the sailrite if money is not a big factor. I wonder if parts are interchangeable...if i can purchase the cabinet and power wheel from sairite to enhance my machine alittle, hmm?
That is it. By the time you buy the cabinet and wheel you are about the same price and willl sooner or later need their support or parts. Get the sailrite and don't look back.

Sum

Jan 15, 2012
Dyer Dhow, Cats Paw 10 ft, 12 ft Montpelier, VT
My wife bought a Sailrite about 10 years ago. Have used it for everything including making leather presents. Can't say it hasn't had a few fits. But a simple call to the people at Sailrite and a little adjusting has always done the trick.

You get a lot more than the machine, it's one of those special cases where your get the people who work there. And they've been great.

Jan 15, 2012
Dyer Dhow, Cats Paw 10 ft, 12 ft Montpelier, VT
I took another look at some of the comments and I realized one more point for the Sailrite.

Consider the difference in price this way. You live on a boat, often it's near impossible to get what you need both in information and parts.

We've cruised for 6 years and the difference in price with regard to the service we received has been worth it. Also, a sewing machine is made of steel, in a salt water environment the better the steel the better the reliability.

We're on the hard now with 3 grandkids on either coast. And my wife still uses the Sailrite.

wetass

Mar 9, 2011
CS 36T Seattle
Thanks everyone - All the help is much appreciated. I think I'm going with the Sailrite. While it looks like they are the same machine, I'm sure I'll need the support at some point and a box isn't a bad thing either ;-)

Thanks again!

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
wetass said:
Thanks everyone - All the help is much appreciated. I think I'm going with the Sailrite. While it looks like they are the same machine, I'm sure I'll need the support at some point and a box isn't a bad thing either ;-)

Thanks again!
Good choice!!!

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
We had an older Thompson Wallking Foot just recently serviced and it works great. We used it for years on heavy canvas, horse blankets, and even leather. When we put it next to a brand new Sailrite they looked identical. The big advantage the new Sailrite has over the Thompson is that it will do straight stictch as well as zig zag. The zig zag option plus being able to move the needle left, center, right are great features. We ordered a Sailrite, supposed to be in this week, and will give the Thompson to our daughter (she has horses and a Cat-25).

Apr 29, 2012
Macgregor Venture 25 Council Bluffs, IA
Interesting thread. I posted a similar question asking for advice to a sewing machine. Got several people insisting on the Sailrite. At the time I was not even close to spending that kind of money, but had so many advisement's to go with the Sailrite, that I decided to save my coins and buy the best and buy once. Sorry to say that I am still saving, but soon will be ordering an LSZ-1.

In the meantime I found and bought a Monster Wheel off Ebay. Turns out it is for the older model with the clutch drive. So it will not work with the PosiPin model. Anybody need a Monster Wheel for about 1/2 price?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Can't say it hasn't had a few fits. But a simple call to the people at Sailrite and a little adjusting has always done the trick...
Above "had a few fits" is what people don't seem to get on these "which sewing machine to buy" threads that crop up. If you use any sewing machine very much something is going to break and it is going to need adjustment sooner or later.

If you can't get the support to get it back in adjustment or the parts needed it can get very frustrated. We have always been back in business right away with sailrite and that has been worth a lot. Especially when you have a project started and you need to get it done right before you hit the road cross country to the boat.

I have a friend that bought a used very powerful machine from a nearby furniture factory. He had to have another friend that serviced the machines at the factory help him set it up and will also need his friend's help when it gets out of adjustment. It also sews way too fast for him and he just isn't using it.

We have done thousands of dollars worth of projects...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-index.html

...with the sailrite machine and are able to take it with us any place we go. There are some helpful tips for what has worked for us in the link above also.

We would buy another one in a heartbeat and I'm sure glad to see that wetass went with the sailrite,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Yup, I have to agree, besides being a great machine, it is the support and availability of parts. Just look at their website, the available video instruction, the options. There are a number of great options, including that monster wheel, the flxible light, and the binding attachment. I have to recommend the portable case as well. We use ours on the quarterdeck table right out there where the work is. Don't foget to oil it every 8-10 hours of use. Nothing to it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
On a lesser note, if you ever want to sell a machine, I think the Sailrite would be easiest to sell. Just post a note at the marina, and a bidding war will probably start. I just sold the heavy-duty Sailrite table in 2 hours in favor of using the hard case. Now I'll be more likely to take it onto the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.