Sailboat sinks at mooring Hamburg Cove, Lyme, Ct

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
chenega, yes we are being silly, yes we are making up stuff, yes we are do not have any facts. you can say we are rude, BUT,...................................................
i have driven vessels through all thicknesses of ice for thousands of miles. i have been stopped in ice while the engine is running full speed ahead. i have been stopped by ice to then back up a mile or two to ram it again. i have been ice bound for weeks till help came. i have been rescued by ice breakers. i have spent many watches in the bow of the vessel in front of the collision bulkhead watching for damage. i have spun ships in harbors covered with 1,2,and 3 ft of ice then backed into graving docks.

that vessel in the video was not ice bound by that skim ice. if one did not want to risk scratching the yacht finish, any steel workboat or tug could of easily, yes easily gotten the vessel out. that boat was clearly neglected. it was not ice bound for sure.
Not saying anyone was rude..! It’s fun to see the different directions this has gone.
We had cold weather, nobody on the boat, too much ice in harbor to access boat but most ice has now moved out with warming weather. (A lot of current from River and tides). Being in the know on ice travel, you must realize if you leave a boat in 10 degree weather for a week or more things like seacocks and thruhull fittings can freeze. On thaws they can leak.
Never said the boat was “icebound” or was sunk due to moving “skim ice”... my guess and experience with boats in the winter in water would make me think... it just froze / thawed and went down.
A week prior, the Cove was filled with River pack ice. I agree the boat was neglected! That’s the point. The footage prior to and after sinking was shot by someone else. Many predicted the outcome of this beautiful abandoned yacht.

Jan 29, 2019
Zodiac 10 Essex
Hello all. My name is Frank DiNardi and I filmed this video. Some have wondered how I got the before footage. I do photography and videography as a side business here in Connecticut and my normal day job is with a local landscaping company. I have worked for the company for almost 20 years and I’ve seen many strange things around this area but this Boat was towards the top of the list. Last week I innocently went down there and took photographs and video of the boat beacuse it was so strange but so beautiful with all the ice around it. I was going to use the video of the boat as an intro to my next youtube Vlog but on Sunday morning when somebody called me and told me the boat sank I immediately went down there and grabbed some video of it and made the video you’ve all seen. The boat started to sink and Saturday morning and the fire department was called in. They went out on the ice and got to the boat and pumped at whatever water they could get out of it to maintain its buoyancy above water. The owner was present and was told to get a pump and keep it running but he neglected. Well Saturday night the boat sank and everybody on Hamburg Cove woke up Sunday morning looking out of the boat underwater. The boat sank due to total neglect. The ice did not crack the hall. What they are thinking is that the events on the side of the boat that discharge excess water from inside the boat froze up in the boat was not able to drain. It’s a total shame. Everybody around here is up in arms about it.
I am for real, I’m the one that filmed the video. You can check out my Instagram and see the prior photographs of this boat in the cove (summer photo and a photo last week). You can find me on Facebook. On all social media, I am under Frank DiNardi.

Attachments

Jan 29, 2019
Zodiac 10 Essex
why was this boat abandoned on a mooring...? Hopefully not leaking fuel in such a beautiful harbor

Hello all. My name is Frank DiNardi and I filmed this video. Some have wondered how I got the before footage. I do photography and videography as a side business here in Connecticut and my normal day job is with a local landscaping company. I have worked for the company for almost 20 years and I’ve seen many strange things around this area but this Boat was towards the top of the list. Last week I innocently went down there and took photographs and video of the boat beacuse it was so strange but so beautiful with all the ice around it. I was going to use the video of the boat as an intro to my next youtube Vlog but on Sunday morning when somebody called me and told me the boat sank I immediately went down there and grabbed some video of it and made the video you’ve all seen. The boat started to sink and Saturday morning and the fire department was called in. They went out on the ice and got to the boat and pumped at whatever water they could get out of it to maintain its buoyancy above water. The owner was present and was told to get a pump and keep it running but he neglected. Well Saturday night the boat sank and everybody on Hamburg Cove woke up Sunday morning looking out of the boat underwater. The boat sank due to total neglect. The ice did not crack the hall. What they are thinking is that the events on the side of the boat that discharge excess water from inside the boat froze up in the boat was not able to drain. It’s a total shame. Everybody around here is up in arms about it.
I am for real, I’m the one that filmed the video. You can check out my Instagram and see the prior photographs of this boat in the cove (summer photo and a photo last week). You can find me on Facebook. On all social media, I am under Frank DiNardi.

Jan 29, 2019
Zodiac 10 Essex
I've moored there and can say the cove is surrounded by residential properties. Anyone could have flown the drone over to take pictures. It's not that big. I would call the water brackish.
Little Harbors are not the kind of yachts that owners ignore.
The before and after raises questions.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019
Zodiac 10 Essex
Something fishy here.
So the boat just suddenly sinks a short time after a choreographed photography flyover while she's still afloat?
A well kept, quality build yacht?
What are the odds?
And the same drone operator just happens to be onsite again after the sinking?
Look at the ice. It's the same thickness in both incidents. The videos were not taken very far apart in time.
Then they added the music.
Drama.
Anytime I see drama and no further explanation, especially on the Internet, fishy.
I don't know what the fishiness is, but there's something odd.

Or it could be that the drone operator's presence and the sinking were fantastically coincidental. And the drone operator, who is apparently fascinated by sailboats, doesn't ask any questions about the incident.
I am the one that filmed the video. I just wrote a long reply at the end of the forum. Check it out.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi Frank and welcome to the sailboat owners forum. I visited your youtube post and read some of your comments and replies to others. It is so sad about this beautiful boat. Your video was well done. I believe someone complimented you on your musical pairing for the video. I would like to add my voice to that sentiment.
Thank you for joining us here to offer your insight and knowledge. Stick around, we have a lot of fun here. If you don't own a sailboat now, perhaps you won't wait long before you get the bug.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019
Zodiac 10 Essex
W
Hi Frank and welcome to the sailboat owners forum. I visited your youtube post and read some of your comments and replies to others. It is so sad about this beautiful boat. Your video was well done. I believe someone complimented you on your musical pairing for the video. I would like to add my voice to that sentiment.
Thank you for joining us here to offer your insight and knowledge. Stick around, wer have a lot of fun here. Of you don't own a sailboat now, purchase you won't wait long before you get the bug.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will thanks. I want it to be clear I had no idea that boat would sink. I love photography and videography and never leave my house without cameras and my drone. It’s a crazy crazy story and after I had the before and after film I had to put that video together! I think I posted to many times on here by accident ps! I cruise the CT river in a little 10 foot zodiac and love it. Sailboat... someday!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Will ... you took the words right out of my mouth! (post #50). The video was very well done and including the background music.

And Frank ... thanks again for your post and telling us what may happened. If you come across any more details please report back in!!! We wanna know!

For info, video is a relatively new-found hobby of mine. Started in photography years ago with an Argus C3 camera ("the brick"), moved on a couple cameras later to a Nikon Photomic T with a ton of accessories. Got a 8mm Sekonic with a turret lens (no battery, wind-up). Back around 2006 sold the Nikon (still have some accessories) but got back into video again in 2008. Digital, color LCD screen, save to the computer, edit, audio, ... so much less expensive and easier to work with than the old 8mm. Sailing videos is the new challenge. There is a somewhat new thread here about that: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/sailing-and-videos.194993/

Drone videos of a sailing vessel can be supper great because they can get the whole boat in. I'm using a cam on a gimbal but that only gets deck shots. But good ones. Combine those with some drone "footage" and it'd be really great.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019
Zodiac 10 Essex

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I stand corrected in that someone will ignore a asset worth as much as a nice home in New England. Unbelievable! Wealth is wasted on the wealthy.
Frankd32, thanks for the info. As long as you're hanging around you should know that many boat and especially sailboat owners would pay for quality videos of their boats. Many of us buy still images taken from helicopters during races. I think the closer proximities of a drone would make a more dramatic view. Hang around a turning mark in a regatta with your Zodiac and a drone and you might make some money.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
To me, this is heartbreaking. As I have said before, my belief on boats is that "....we take them to sea, and they bring us back...." It is simply outrageous that someone would abandon a boat in these circumstances. If I lived in that area and knew of this situation prior, I would have done everything I could, pounded on every desk, made every call, to effect a rescue...

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Why not just give away to charitable organization to ignore any boat, let alone the beauty knowing that it was sinking is a crime, the owner needs to be publicly mocked and made to wear a placard on his chest with the words in big bold letters, KILLER.