Registered users don't see ads

1. wisey2

wisey2

Joined Jan 5, 2019
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 240
    Jon-B Un trailered from home
    Where is the best place to get replacement battens for my Hunter 240? I live in Nazareth, PA and sail mostly in the Chesapeake.

2. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,161 posts, 870 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
  3. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,609 posts, 395 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Uh... I don't think I'd recommend those Teak interior battens for a mainsail.. of any type.

I suggest you remove and inspect your sail's battens.. measure the length, width and thickness.. note their shape..and start your search. Batten's come in many different sizes and configurations... here's a reliable source to get you started: Sailrite but don't be afraid to google "mainsail battens" yourself when you know what you need.

justsomeguy likes this.
  4. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,326 posts, 255 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Beyond the dimension of the batten -- there are a variety of structural differences between battens of the same general shape dealing with the balance between flexibility, resistance/allowance for bending, damping of fluttering, ability to take "compression" without buckling, etc., etc.

In your Hunter 240, assuming you have the conventional battens, I'd avoid getting too wild. Try calling North, Quantum, or any of the sail manufacturers and ask them what they use.