Roller Furler forJib

Dec 24, 2011
Hunter 25.5 Monroe Harbor
I have a 1984, Hunter 25.5 and I'd like to explore installing a Roller Furler on the jib. I'm hoping to do this for under $500...closer to $300 if possible. I'm not sure if that's doable or not? I plan to install myself. Nonetheless, can any of you recommend a brand and any specific details I need to be made aware of? Best place to locate this hardware for an honest price? I'm not opposed to used parts in functional condition too.

Many thanks.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
For $300 your gonna be restricted by what you can find used for $300. Don't worry they all work untill they don't but research what you can find bacon. Texas sail. Etc. My old hood works fine and parts are still available

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
You'll also need to consider that your old hank on jib will need to be converted to work on the furler, which you can do yourself and save money, but will still require buying the luff tape to sew on, etc. Or the cost to have a sailmaker do it.
Like Whatfiero1 suggested a salvage store may have something, or possibly find something on craigslist. I upgraded from the original jib and really like the convenience.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If leaving the sail on all the time, suggest a sunbrella cover. I seriously doubt you will be able to do this for $300 as it will cost more. Buying a second hand furler, be careful with sites like craigs list. I know of two folks who did got banged up hardware plus missing some. Therefore, I would inspect it closely.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Yes, good thoughts Crazy Dave, Bacon Sails put together my furler and new jib with a Sunbrella cover and it was significantly more than $300.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Forget $300 for a new system. The cheapest system that works would be a CDI Flexible Furler and you still have to have the hanks on your jib removed, a luff tape installed to match the groove on the furler (by a sailmaker) which even adds more cost. Even if you go used, you will still have to pay for the sail modification. If you go used, the system has to match your forestay size, and be longer (and not shorter) than you need for it to work. Depending on the system you might add extrusions to it if it is too short, but you'd have to buy a whole new proper length extrusion if you were going with CDI or a Schaefer Snap Furl system.