Restored Telstar 28 Launch!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Here is a pretty good summary of the fiberglass repair / reinforcement portion of my Telstar restoration project.
Yeah, this video rocks too!

So Andrew, @agprice22 , when can you host a fly in that machine with Cindy and I. We'll gladly trade you a weekend daysail on Cayuga, and I promise little heel for the Mrs. Seriously...we need to meetup! Send me a PM if you're game.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah, this video rocks too!

So Andrew, @agprice22 , when can you host a fly in that machine with Cindy and I. We'll gladly trade you a weekend daysail on Cayuga, and I promise little heel for the Mrs. Seriously...we need to meetup! Send me a PM if you're game.
I PM'd you. Let's make it happen!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Congratulations. An impressive block of work you did there! DIY awlgripping! Do you have a background in composite repair and paint work?

Aug 3, 2012
Congratulations. An impressive block of work you did there! DIY awlgripping! Do you have a background in composite repair and paint work?
That made me giggle! No. I learned from my last few boats. But my father taught me to fix anything, so I know it is just a matter of research, tools, materials, and hard work.
Thank you for the compliment. And thanks to everyone who appreciated my video and the work on the boat!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Perhaps the best gift a dad can give a boy. My dad demonstrated a willingness to take on any task, even if he had no idea how to do it. He always said, "you don't need to know how to do something you just need to be willing to learn". He set up a paint booth in the basement and pretty much painted everything from shutters to bicycles. The fumes filled the house!

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
This is a great post, and very inspiring. I regularly say that my next upgrade from our Mac26S is going to be a Telstar 28. It seems to have just the right combination of simplicity, speed, shallow draft, price point, and comfort to make it a keeper. Looking forward to more videos! And congrats on a lot of hard work paying off.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Fantastic thread! Great job on the boat. I hope you fully enjoy it for years to come.

dj

Aug 3, 2012
So.. another goal for this season! I just purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker to deploy off the bowsprit. The PO, yes, him again, had never even used the genoa, let alone deployed the extendable bowsprit! We have restored it, and I am rigging controls for it this weekend. By next weekend, we will have an asymmetrical spinnaker with a sock ready to deploy. We are excited because Summer in the Finger Lakes can feature some light winds.
We are also ordering a Screecher for next season.
My friend will create a video of the Asymmetrical rigging and, hopefully, performance!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So how is Firefly doing? You have successfully created a new search for me to find a Telstar 28 near us at a deal.

Having never sailed a multi other then small hobie cats, do tris round up into the wind if over powered?

Aug 3, 2012
So how is Firefly doing? You have successfully created a new search for me to find a Telstar 28 near us at a deal.

Having never sailed a multi other then small hobie cats, do tris round up into the wind if over powered?
The Telstar is going really well. She is light and FAST compared to a mono. She is stable too. She does not have weather helm or round up in a blow. It is a little weird. She points fine. I have pointed high enough to beat several of our marina's faster 30+ foot monos to windward.
If you search on Sailing Firefly on Youtube, you will see lots of video I have posted. We have begun weekending on the boat, and she is comfortable. She rocks less than a mono.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
If you have sailed a Hobie Cat you should know what happens when you overpower a cat or a tri. Just reading the reefing instruction manual for a big cat is a sobering experience.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Perhaps the best gift a dad can give a boy. My dad demonstrated a willingness to take on any task, even if he had no idea how to do it. He always said, "you don't need to know how to do something you just need to be willing to learn". He set up a paint booth in the basement and pretty much painted everything from shutters to bicycles. The fumes filled the house!
My dad thought he could fix anything also. Then my Brother and I had to figure out how to fix what he had messed up. I learned a lot fixing his mistakes. It gave me the confidence to work on my own projects, and the understanding that I would screw them up as well. LOL

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
T. Edison

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I saw Andrew's finished work up close and personal. I couldn't believe it wasn't factory work. Not one single thing looked fixed. It just looked right!

Aug 3, 2012
If you have sailed a Hobie Cat you should know what happens when you overpower a cat or a tri. Just reading the reefing instruction manual for a big cat is a sobering experience.
Haha. Yeah. It could get exciting to lift more than one hull of a Tri! Trimarans seem to be built to lift a hull readily or not. The telstar is a cruising tri built for stability, so she does not lift a hull as easily as a Corsair or a Dragonfly. However, she is easily as fast as 35 to 40 ft monohulls. I have had her up to 14 mph. That is an exciting ride. In 7-8 knots of wind, she will go 9-10 mph.

Aug 3, 2012
There are always a few of them for sale, but they are not cheap. I just happened to find one that needed a lot of care.
If you are interested, the boats seem to show up for sale first on the Telstar forum:
http://www.telstarowners.net/bb/index.php?sid=2aeed912127b260ac035273ab6c02b45

Honestly, for a 28 ft boat, it has an excellent amount of room, is fast, stable under sail and at the dock, doesn't heel, and easy amd exciting to sail. Like all boats, they have their flaws, but they can be overcome. It doesn't hurt that they turn heads and are pretty rare at only 60-ish built.