Replacement LED Bulbs

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I have searched ALL forums for this and was unable to find anything!!!
I contacted the folks at superbrightleds.com to get recommendations for LED replacement bulbs for my 1993 Catalina 30. For the old square lights in the head and quarterberth I was recommended 1156 -x27-T (their part number) which is a 420 lumen bulb.

For the little wedge bulb found in the lights above the settees I was recommended WLED-xHP5-LAN which is a 90 lumen bulb.

When I queried the guy about the difference he then recommended a 260 lumen bulb. I said I couldn't quite rationalize the difference he said it was my choice.

So, does anyone have any idea what are the light output requirement for the lights on a 1993 C30.

p.s. "superbrightleds" was a search term I used because I seem to remember someone on these forums recommending them.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Bulb2 looks just like the ones in my landscape lighting. I believe they have a T5 base. I got them on Amazon. They have different brightness choices.
Marinebeam.com might be able to help. The chandlery here might have the info you need

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="womble...So, does anyone have any idea what are the light output requirement for the lights on a 1993 C30.....[/QUOTE]

"Light requirement" for bulb output is whatever the owner finds works for his use/needs, not what someone else may like for THEIRS. Like a wise old man once said, "Your boat, your choice".

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Most of the old incandescent bulbs like those put out around 100 lumens not less than 90 and not more than 125 ish.. If you were happy with the old bulbs, some bulbs around 100 or a smidge more will have similar output as the old ones. When ya start looking, make sure the bulb matches the fixture, the "front firing" bulbs project light directly away from the base.. Something like a reading lamp fixture might use the front firing bulbs.. If the old bulb is kinda laying in the fixture and the sides are projecting light into the cabin, some of the round, side projecting LED's would work.. In both cases, you'll want a "warm white" color. Your "bulb 1" picture shows a BA-15S or a 1156 base bulb. If the fixture has space for the bulb replacement, some of these would work.. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/bayonet-bulbs/filter/Base_Type,1156,1,40:
The bulb in "bulb 2" picture is either a "T3" or a "T5", but without a size scale, I can't tell which..
Doesn't sound like the guy you are talking to at Superbright knows his stuff.. I'd study your fixtures carefully and then decide what LED you need for which fixture.. Good Luck.. I converted all interior lamps to LED about 6 years ago and have been very happy with the results..

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
What Claude alludes to about the color is very important. Color temperatures of 5000+ will make you look like you died and be very disappointing. Go for the low 3000's.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
womby, Ron's right. The key, and about the only purely important thing, is to match the base, after that it's all yours. Some folks even claim to like the "blue" color rendition :yikes: which was common on LED up to about maybe 8 years ago, now all have choices or are warm white. Good luck.

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Kloudie1, thank you for answering my question. A little over 100 lumens!!!
Bulb 2 is a T5.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Anyone have experience with Lunasea LED bulbs? They are the ones available in our local chandler.

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
Anyone have experience with Lunasea LED bulbs? They are the ones available in our local chandler.
I used the warm-white Lunasea ones and really liked them! They were certainly bright enough for my needs (which really means 'bright enough to read by').

This year I'm also putting in cheap strip LED's. Got them on Amazon for about $5. I will just use them for interior accent lighting, tucked up and out of sight by the hull-deck joint. Even bought red ones to run along side the white for when we are night sailing.

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
I should add though - when mentioning the brightness of the Lunasea bulbs - that I also switched out the old plastic square fixtures (with white lens covers) for the typical-style modern round brass/glass ones.
When going from square to round you can re-use only one of the original mounting holes and will have to drill 2 new ones. Of the original 4 mounting holes you end up with 1 that isn't hidden by the new fixture, but if you're fussy like me - you can just add a dollop of beige gelcoat to cover it. Nobody but you would ever notice it was there.