Replace Oil Pan

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Hello All,

Just got my broken steering cable fixed. That was MUCH easier and quicker than I thought it would be...for my maintenance guy...not for me... ;-)

But now I have big oil leak. Oil in the engine bilge and dip stick nearly dry just about every day. Clean out engine bilge and add more oil to go out. Next day repeat.

So when my guy fixed the steering he checked out the oil situation. Found dripping oil on drain plug. He tightened drain plug. But problem persisted. He came back yesterday and still found drip on drain plug...tightened it even more. But then did a little more looking and found oil on the underside of the oil pan. Turns out oil pan is pretty badly corroded and oil seeps through it (that is what he is thinking) then it flows "down hill" where it hits the plug and that is where it drips down.

So he says we need to replace the oil pan. Anyone ever done this?

Anyone have a part number or source? What other things are things are in that oil pan that I will need to think about. Engine is M25XPB (or C???)

Plan is to detach prop shaft/transmission coupling, removed engine bulkhead, unscrew the motor mounts and then use 4x4 across companionway with a "come-along" to lift the motor about a foot so we can access oil pan. Have done this lifting before for transmission replacement so think this will work for oil pan replacement.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim
Polaris (#335)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sounds like a plan.. a note here.. make sure the leak is not on the rear main bearing seal or the oil pressure bypass or the front gearcase gasket.. .. Sometimes it is hard to find where the real leak is; I was on a delivery where the rear main of that same model engine was leaking so bad we had to put a baking pan under the engine to catch the oil and put it back into the engine! If it is the oil pan, it would leak when the engine is shut down.. not clear from your post that leaking while shut down is the symptom.. Note that it is a Kubota engine so something like an oil pan (or gaskets and seals) could be sourced (and probably save a lot of dollars) from a Kubota tractor dealer if you know the corresponding Kubota engine block. Your mechanic should know this stuff.. Good luck with it, Jim.
EDIT: Stu and the Catalina guys can help with the engine model crossover..

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The M25XPB(C) is a Kubota D-1005E(3B?) block. The "C" means there are some Catalina specific modifications, mostly electrical related to the control panel in the cockpit, I think. The parts manual I've got for the M25XP says the oil pan is PN 201003, but that's a Universal part number, not Kubota.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I believe the pan is a "marine-ized" part - the dip stick is in a new location (but my memory is the second shortest thing I have). I bet if you take new and old to a welder the stock kubota part would be cheaper including having the mods done.

Nov 6, 2006
Looks like Leslie is right.. the Universal pan may have the dip stick added and the old dip stick hole is plugged
(part # 18)
upload_2017-2-21_18-42-40.png

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
Thanks all. Passing this on to my mechanic. Confirm oil leak location, Kubota could have the part cheaper, confirm dip stick location.

What about oil pickup tubes? Does this oil system have that?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
To confirm the leak location I would clean and degrease the engine first. Then try to hunt down the leak. Just a thought.

Nov 6, 2006
Pick-up fitting is part #12 in the sketch.. goes up in bottom of block and screen sits in the bottom of the pan..