Really Really Bad Hunter Smile :(

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I found what appeared to be a real bad hunter smile. See Pictures they tell the rest of the two thousand words I could write. How bad is this.. not that I already haven't that out... but what should I do put fiberglass over it? Inside Everything looks OK where the keel bolts are attached in the cabin. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.. Jon

Attachments

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
that isn't a smile, that's what your mouth looks like after getting hit in the face with a baseball bat

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What the hell

What did you hit:eek::eek:
I would consult with a expert who will know what to do to repair it,I would get
a few experts look and see what they would do.
Nick

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Wow, looks like it was tangled around a mooring chain for about a month. After consulting with an expert (if there is such a thing) I'd fill it with concrete and after grinding it fair, epoxy coat the entire thing. Maybe your's won't be nose heavy like mine is. You could always bolt or weld another inch of steel plate on the bottom to make up for some of the lost metal, even though its probably less than a percent of the total weight.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I never hit anything... this must have happened earlier in it's life or there was a slow leak for possibly the past 10 years or so....

I'm hoping the experts reside here! It wasn't really open when I took it out, but the paint/fiberglass was starting to flak away and after a few light flicks of a knife, this how it now looks.

Was that fiberglass that it was wrapped in? I never would have thought of concrete. This is where the experts live!

Thanks again
-Jon

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have never seen fiberglass on a keel. Someone may have done some kind of a repair on the keel in the past. Is it an iron or lead keel?

You might try contacting Hunter and ask them what the keel is, did they wrap it in fiberglass, and what repair they would recommend. I just visited their plant last week and met with Greg Emerson. He might be able to help. 386-462-3629. gregemerson@marlow-hunter.com

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks for the contact information Nick! I believe it's cast iron. -Jon

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wow.. looks like damage one would see from a storm where the boat was pushing up against a steel cable in the water. I'd want to inspect the notch in the cast iron carefully for any developing crack under the leading edge. The damage looks well rounded but if ya see a crack beginning, it would have to be ground out and radius'ed .. If no crack, then blasted or wire brushed to bare metal then primed immediately with Interprotect or coal tar epoxy. Once the corrosion is mitigated then fill and fair back in. Then cover with a few bands of glass cloth using epoxy to keep everything in place and waterproof the site..
It may be possible to build a reinforced clay mold around the site and, after grit blasting to bare metal, pour melted lead into the gap.. then fair and glass wrap .. This is one I'd not try myself.. but ya might find a foundryman around who'd do it.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
It looks like you snagged a cable and the boat worked against that cable for some time, or maybe at a mooring. I would make sure that the keel bolts are correctly torqued, fill and epoxy seal, then fair and paint. The gap between the hull and keel appears to have been filled and faired previously, so perhaps there was previous damage. This will not be a quick repair, filling a gap like that is a pain. Good luck with that.

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
Is it possible the original keel installation did not a good mate between the two surfaces, the irregular gap was filled with something and now you have discovered it? I think there would be taper marks pointing aft if a cable, heavy line or chain had caused this.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Steve Walsh-Is it possible the original keel installation did not a good mate between the two surfaces, the irregular gap was filled with something and now you have discovered it? I think there would be taper marks pointing aft if a cable, heavy line or chain had caused this.

Steve,
I think you are seeing taper marks, but the material broke away rather than adhering to give that smooth gradient. Notice the wear/discoloration at the edge of the damaged area.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Whatever fill you use will most definitely benefit if you rough up that smooth cable inset. This could lead to another repair failure if it doesn't adhere properly. Chief

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
We're going to clean it out and get a look at it. I'll point out that when we took to boat out of the water it looked good. It was only when I started to remove the existing transducers that I noticed the material starting to flake away. I flicked off what had already started to peel away with a scraper and revealed this hidden problem. I would have thought that my surveyor would have seen this patch 2 years ago when I purchased the boat.

I'll put some more pics up as we do work on it.

Any thoughts on how to fill it... I kind of like Allan's idea of fiberglass laced cement. What type of Epoxy could be used as fill?

Thanks Jon

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Do you have insurance on this boat? If so, I would have your insurance co. look at it.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I like the idea of fiber laced cement, maybe some West System or FORTA-FERRO fibers added to the cement? Also, I had good success with the West System two part epoxy that comes in the caulk tubes to fill some smaller gaps. It looks cost prohibitive, but works out about the same as mixing your own, but with less mess. Be sure to use a fiber mesh to hold it in place wile it cures or resign your self to being there pushing it back into place for 30 minutes, a thankless task. ;)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I like the idea of fiber laced cement, maybe some West System or FORTA-FERRO fibers added to the cement? Also, I had good success with the West System two part epoxy that comes in the caulk tubes to fill some smaller gaps. It looks cost prohibitive, but works out about the same as mixing your own, but with less mess. Be sure to use a fiber mesh to hold it in place wile it cures or resign your self to being there pushing it back into place for 30 minutes, a thankless task. ;)
Any epoxy in that amount will exotherm like crazy and either burn or completely crack to pieces. There is a stucco mix with chopped glass fibers that can work well. You could even mix in lead shot to regain some of the weight.

In my case to get rid of the smile my wife and put a couple of layers of glass cloth over the cleaned surface and then some coats of barrier coat to seal it all up. There has been no more smile so the keel (in that area) is well sealed.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Repair

I think it must have been repaired a long time ago and maybe they did a good job at the time for some reason it did not last so maybe you can find some one who has experience with this kind of repair,maybe the yard can help you with the right guy.
I would not want to rush the repair the wrong way and find out after all your work was not good and doesn't last very long.
Nick

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Well I'm going to take a different position, I think you should get rid of that boat!

If you aren't going to do that you need to drop the keel, repair the stub, fair the keel properly, replace the keel bolts, reinstall, then maybe even fiberglass the assembly.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Disagree

Well from what I can see it is not as bad as could be and the Keel looks like it is
well mounted to the hull for sure and no cracks around where it is bolted to Hull.
I will go with a anchor chain wrapped around it and after maybe from a storm or
long time it was left to get like it is.
Call Hunter Customer service Eddie Breeden and find out what the keel was made of and than search to see what should be best possible repair.
It's Hot summer time and best time to leave on hard while you do your research.
Good Luck and maybe one day when in the area I will stop by and say hello.
Is the boat in Safe Cove yard,tuesday's I bicycle in Rotondo and ride past that yard.
Nick

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
repair clarification

Any epoxy in that amount will exotherm like crazy and either burn or completely crack to pieces. There is a stucco mix with chopped glass fibers that can work well. You could even mix in lead shot to regain some of the weight.

In my case to get rid of the smile my wife and put a couple of layers of glass cloth over the cleaned surface and then some coats of barrier coat to seal it all up. There has been no more smile so the keel (in that area) is well sealed.

Allan,
You are right about the huge heat generation if one tried to fill that cavity with epoxy. Notice that I said that I had success with the epoxy on smaller gaps, implied layering by saying it would not be a quick repair, and concurred on the use of concrete for the void fill. Sorry if it seemed as if I was suggesting using the epoxy for the entire repair. I was instead suggesting using the epoxy for fairing the surface of the concrete fill after it had cured.