Raritan Fresh Head and pressurized water supply

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The "Fresh Flush" is out. It's big and can't work with seawater any better than anything else, or at least they tell you not to put a switch to draw from a seacock even downstream of this thing.
What is a "Fresh Flush"??? Never mind...I just googled it and answered my own question. I'd forgotten about it! No...you definitely do NOT want that thing! I remember when the mfr spammed this site with it about a year ago...creating quite a discussion. I can't imagine why anyone would spend $200+ to solve a problem that can be easily solved by teeing the toilet inlet line into the head sink drain line for about $10.

Fwiw, no toilet designed to use sea water should ever be connected to the fresh water system and no toilet designed to use fresh water should ever be modified to use sea water too...that would contaminate the fresh water supply with sea water (which is why the Fresh Flush instructions tell you not to do it). There are some fresh water toilets--high end all china "thrones"--that are designed to be able to use both, but they have completely separate flush water intake fittings and plumbing and require installing a remote sea water intake pump (fresh water toilets don't have an intake pump).

Last edited:
May 11, 2009
2 MK IV Warwick, RI
Yup, the Fresh Flush just didn't make sense for a bunch of reasons. I'm leaning toward the Raritan Fresh Head, but I'll first discuss the Porta Potty suggestion with the GF. She'll have a better understanding than I of what the average, non-boating female will prefer in this area. I was just wondering if, in a pinch, I could pour sea water into the Fresh Head should that need arise.

In a different thread you advised me that the Raritan toilets have the same base mounting configuration as the Jabsco. Are the pipes on the Raritan in more or less the same location as the Jabsco?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I was just wondering if, in a pinch, I could pour sea water into the Fresh Head should that need arise.
You could do that, using a bucket or a pitcher. However, keep in mind that you not only have a small water tank, you also have a small holding tank. Which is one of the reasons I suggested the MSD portapotty. Because it needs only enough water to rinse the bowl--less than a pint (plus another cupful added from the sink ahead of solids), it holds 50-60 flushes using water from its own reservoir that you'd fill before you leave the dock. The Fresh Head and SuperFlush need a couple of liters/flush.
In a different thread you advised me that the Raritan toilets have the same base mounting configuration as the Jabsco. Are the pipes on the Raritan in more or less the same location as the Jabsco?
Because your Jabsco has sea water inlet line, which the Fresh Head doesn't have (the inlet line tees into the cold water line in the head), the plumbing will be slightly different. You'll be able to see how it's plumbed in the Installation and Maintenance manual, which you can download from here: Raritan Fresh Head . Scroll down to "Product Documents."