Quick Antares windlass problems - 2009 B37

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
Has anyone else had trouble with their Quick brand, Antares model windlass?

My windlass quit and I have been troubleshooting it recently. Electrical diagrams with my boat are not as detailed as I'd like. Does anyone know what the windlass circuit breaker and/or fuse looks like and where it is located. I have a rocker switch near my battery switches, but I can't identify the circuit breaker between there and the windlass solenoid.

Quick technical support identifies mine as the Antares model, 1000 watt, 12 volts. It has been discontinued. If I have to replace the Antares, Quick says the Aleph model fits the same basic footprint with little modification.

Quick has no authorized service centers in the U.S., they tell me. The local boatyards I've contacted say they've never even heard of Quick windlasses. I would consider replacing it with a different brand/model. If I replace, the simplest install would be a real plus for me (i.e., similar footprints). Any suggestions?

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
On our 343 it to right of the battery switches it is a
DC Thermal Circuit Breakers - Panel Mount if the little arm is out it is tripped. I don’t know how to load a pic but if you check in the online store here they have a picture

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On our 343 it to right of the battery switches
Same place on our 37, in the aft cabin. Actually a very bad spot on the sense that it can easily be bumped when moving around or putting bags there. Not sure if there is any other cutoff further forward.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
Yes I agree it’s a bad location we were out one day and went to drop the anchor and nothing. I tracked it down and I think someone hit the red button which tripped the breaker. Reset the breaker and all was good

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have the same windlass. Installed it ~5yrs ago and have had 0 problems. What are your symptoms? Dont be so “quick”to blame the windlass without tracing through the big current wiring and switch wiring into the relay etc. Don’t let a corroded relay terminal make you replace the entire windlass....

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Also, if the windlass was installed by Bénéteau it has a relay which will not permit usage unless the engine is running.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Have same windlass on my boat, 2 years no problems. I think it is a quality piece of equipment. Before I would do any thinking of replacement, I would be absolutely sure it is not an electrical problem (other than the drive motor). Whether the yard has heard of Quick or not, any marine electrician should be able to quickly troubleshoot. A quick and dirty check might be to jump from a 12 v battery directly to the terminals on the windlass. This will tell you right away if the problem is in the boat wiring or in the windlass.
If you decide to replace, I believe the Aleph base is not chrome plated solid bronze like the Antares. I was told by Quick that this had become too expensive. If the parts are interchangeable, I would consider replacing the parts and keeping the solid bronze base.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
The Quick on line store shows these (see picture) circuit breakers. Is that what mind should look like on my 2009 B37? If so, I don't see anything like it..........so far!

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Can you provide a link to the Quick online store?
Is a "switch" a "circuit breaker"?

Hmm, "hydraulic magnetic circuit breaker".

image.png

Last edited:

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
PROBLEM IDENTIFIED: I finally got around to pulling the windlass off. The motor is in a black plastic case, and looked ok thru the small window in the black case where the cable connections are.........BUT, behold what I found when I pulled the motor out of the plastic case!
antares motor 2.jpeg

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Ouch! But at least not a mystery. The same thing was on its way to happening to our Lewmar windlass when we got our 331 five years ago. The motor housing was quite corroded, but not near the extent of yours! And luckily the Lewmar had no plastic cover to hide the issue. I was able to bring the motor home, clean off the corrosion and repaint. I take a look in that compartment periodically so as not to get surprised again, and three years later it's still fine,

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Looks like you've got a nasty leak somewhere that allowed that corrosion to occur. I am sure you realize that you'll need to sort that out first or you'll be looking at the same thing in a few years.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Yes indeed! The Aleph model I bought has a different type seal system for the incoming power cables....hopefully that will make the difference!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Yes indeed! The Aleph model I bought has a different type seal system for the incoming power cables....hopefully that will make the difference!
Not sure of the design of the winch location in your Bene but it seems odd that the power cable entry point or seal would even be run in a way that they are exposed to being able to leak into where the motor is housed? That seems like a really poor way to design it. I know that on my boat, the anchor windlass motor is inside of a completely enclosed space that is never exposed to the elements and the penetration is only the shaft from the motor to the capstan. Your picture doesn't show how the motor is attached but I'd be looking for why the installation even has the power cables in a position where there is a seal required for them. Was the winch installed at the factory or installed after delivery?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
PROBLEM IDENTIFIED: I finally got around to pulling the windlass off. The motor is in a black plastic case, and looked ok thru the small window in the black case where the cable connections are.........BUT, behold what I found when I pulled the motor out of the plastic case!View attachment 149016
It looks like the OEM gets $650 for a replacement motor in that size.
http://www.quickusastore.com/windlasses-14/spare-parts/windlass-electric-motors.html
Even as bad as that motor looks, I think that I still might try to find a local motor shop that can do a rebuild. I've had rebuilds done at shops here, in NY, in Houston & in Toronto. In all four shops, the results were at least as good as new.

That motor needs a brush plate, bearings, brushes, seals & an end cap. The frame & magnets are probably still good. If the armature is still OK, then the motor is probably worth rebuilding.

Last edited:

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
It is mounted inside a plastic case, but the case is in the anchor locker, attached at the top of the deck.