Packing Gland

Dec 7, 2014
Catalina 27 Alcova Boat Club
I have a 77 Catalina 27 with an Atomic 4. I purchased the boat recently and just got it in the water this past weekend on Sunday. I noticed the bilge area under the engine had quite a bit of water in it after the launch and motoring over to the slip, about 15 minutes. There is a bilge pump at this location.
The boat had not been in the water for about 2 yrs.
I cleaned out all of the water (about 2 to 3 quarts) yesterday (Monday), started the engine and placed the gearbox in forward for 2 to 3 minutes and did the same in reverse. I noticed about 1 drip every 10 to 15 seconds.
Do I need to change the packing? I think that after sitting for so long the packing dried out and after being in the water for a day the packing has swelled and everything is ok now. Am I wrong?
Thanks

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Or, (since it hasn't been topical for at least 87 seconds) get a pss dripless.

Dec 7, 2014
I'm not going to do anything for now. I'll wait and see how it looks this weekend.

Dec 7, 2014
It seems like my drips are down to 1 every minute or so. Just needed to be in the water for awhile.

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
you can do it in the water with pre cut packing get the right diam packing and cut it at the right angle boat will not sink, then re tighten the nuts if you do it on the hard a easy job! then pull the prop shaft and replace the old shaft log coupling hose too! and have the zinc replaced too!