P30 Wiring To Mast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
Hi All,

Looks like an active Pearson community here :)

I've long thought about researching this, but never got around to it. How does one get (new) wiring between the switch panel area, starboard of the companionway, and the pipe coming up out of the mast step? I know I've looked up at the header in the cabin, from both sides of the bulkhead separating the head from the main lounge, and there's no access to the underside of the mast step there. Not-to-mention how one gets anything from there, back to the switch/fuse panel.

I entertain thoughts of someday moving the VHF antenna to the top of the mast and perhaps putting a wind instrument up there.

Thanks,
Jim

Jan 11, 2006
Pearson Pearson 27 Jamestown, RI
Hi Jim,
Don't get discouraged. I think others would have answered if there were an easy answer. I don't have a P30 any more but when I did, I wired things to the mast by following the starboard shelf forward to where I could run the wires through the vanity locker (near the chainplates). I then ran the wires along the overhead at the main bulkhead. I put a terminal block on the bulkhead, close to the mast and drilled up through. I don't think there is any other access to that part above the liner near the mast. There is not usually a perfect solution.
Good Luck,
Bruce

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
Thanks for the reply, Bruce.

I'm hoping to not have to do what you did. Call me crazy, but, if I were building that boat, I would've provided a wiring/cable channel from where that pipe comes out of the mast step, back to the switch/fuse panel area.

I think there are a couple P30 mailing lists somewhere around. I guess I'll try to look them up and join them.

Thanks again,
Jim

Jun 18, 2009
Pearson Wanderer Kings Point Long Island
Mast wireing

If your boat is like my Wanderer the wires run along the port side to the setee against the head bulkhead. Wires then run up the wood channel that makes up the left frame of the doorway to the head area. Screws held this wood channel in place that are accessed from the toilet side of the bulkhead. It was a bitch to get the wood channel to move even when the screws were out. Hope this helps as your boat should be similar to mine but not sure. Jeff

Oct 14, 2007
Pearson P30, P34 Maine
Been there, done that. But mine has a 2x6 sistered to the original mast support so I ran my wire up the channel created by that. It's been a while but I think the hard part was getting through the deck. I think I just got bold and took off the mast step and shot a long drill bit at an angle. Then I just packed as much sealant as I could into every void I could find.

Sep 3, 2009
Pearson 33 Charleston
I have a P33 and my wiring runs down the starbaord side to the head behind the sink where there is a buss panel. From there they run up the channel over the doorway to the base of the mast. The previous owner cut a round inspection port in the starboard side of the stringer. Each time they wanted to step the mast they needed to disconnect the wires at the buss panel and pull them up, reversing the process when resteping the mast. This all seemed very time intensive to me, so I installed plug connectors at the point the wires exit the tube in the maststep. My antenna is at the top of the mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.