Oil Pressure Sensor Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009
2 309 Key West
The alarm that rings after the key is switched on but before the engine starts sounds only sometimes. I believe that I am experiencing intermittent contact on the Engine Oil Low Pressure Indicator on my Yanmar.
Questions:
Where is the sensor located on the engine?
What is the sensor part number?
Is there a pdf of the detailed service manual online?

Thanks
SmallSloop

STILL NOT SOLVED: after testing the sensor and the continuity of the yellow wire from the sensor to the buzzer and the voltage to the + side of the speaker, I now believe that it is a bad alarm speaker.
. I thought the problem was a loose push-on round barrel connection to the oil pressure sensor which lies just aft of the oil filter. The alarm went from erratic to not working. I believe that it is a bad alarm speaker. Thanks for all your ideas.

FINALLY SOLVED:It was a bad(intermittent ) alarm speaker buzzer.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Assuming it's a 2GM20F ..........................

......................... that's it in the red circle down by the oil filter.

Sorry I don't have a part number but any Yanmar dealer will be able to identify it.

An electronic copy can be found under the SBO resources tab:

http://www.cascadeengine.com/cec2/c...nuals&fldr1=Manuals&fldr2=Yanmar&fldr3=Marine

however, this is mostly just engine operation.

If you want to get right into the engine, a Yanmar shop manual will run you about $78.00 while a SELOC manual will run about $25.00. I find the SELOC sometimes better than the shop manual for descriptions of overhauls and at other times, the reverse.

From the problem you are describing, you may want to look at a poor electrical connection before investing in a new pressure sensor.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
The alarm that rings after the key is switched on but before the engine starts sounds only sometimes. I believe that I am experiencing intermittent contact on the Engine Oil Low Pressure Indicator on my Yanmar.
Questions:
Where is the sensor located on the engine?
What is the sensor part number?
Is there a pdf of the detailed service manual online?

Thanks
SmallSloop
It not the sensor. It that defective yanmar wiring harness along with key switch. Turn the key to on. Wiggling the key switch it should cause the alarm to go on and off. I found a 25 dollar solid brass new key switch from on Oreallys. It works much better. Plus it has a momentary position just like your car no more contorting your finger from an odd angle to to push button.
Next trace down the entire length of harness and clean and tighten all the hidden connections. Be sure use some dielectric grease on all the contacts. Be prepared to run a continuous white #10 marine grade momentary wire from key and or starter button to starter. Because if you are not having starting issues now you will.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don't use dialectric grease on the contacts, it is an insulator. If you must use it, clean the contacts, make them, then cover them with the grease from the outside only.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Smallsloop, I have the same problem with my C309, The speaker will click when it should beep. No problems with starting. You may want to check the wiring from the ignition switch to the speaker. Mine seems to happen when the humidity is high, which for us is fall, winter, and spring. No problems all summer but last week it did it again. I will be taking off the panel and checking the wiring in the next few weeks.

Good Luck.

Bob
C309 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.