Oday 25 Centerboard Pennant Question

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Yesterday while I was out sailing I anchored to go for a swim. I pulled the centerboard up and while doing so noticed that the pennant was looking more frayed than it had previously. While dropping the board back down after our swim the pennant frayed so badly that the line had to be taped to thin the pennant enough to go back down through the hole (not sure what that hole is called.)
So, the centerboard is still attached to the pennant at this point...My question is...Can I get by for the rest of the sailing season leaving it as is or do I have to get the boat out of the water to replace the pennant. My boat is on a mooring and I can probably avoid shallow areas for the rest of the year.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I pull mine up after every sail, and even on lunch anchor, because I don't like the sound of the board knocking back and forth, wearing at the pivot.

I am also OCD with running rigging, so let's just say there are no frayed anythings on my boat.

Finally, deferred maintenance items always seem to become big issues at the worst times. You know what it's like in October... You think you can wait to haul out, but then the big Nor'easter always blows through at the end of the month, forcing you to haul out at the last minute. And now this time you are worried about banging up the centerboard on the ramp trying to get the boat on the trailer because you can't pull it up. (I know this because I had my ride on the tall ships at Downrigging Weekend cancelled 2 years in a row due to Nor'easters. And, they've messed with our haulout weekends several times recently.)

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
My first choice would be to leave the centerboard up for the remainder of the season. To replace the pendant I would do the following: 1) order a new pendant from D and R Marine so you know you have one that will fit 2) remove the fitting from the cockpit where the pendant enters 3) stitch/tape/affix a work line to the bitter end of the old pendant 4) lower the board and detach the old pendant from the board 5) continued

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
5) bring the work line up to the cockpit and stitch/tape/affix the work line to the bitter end of the new pendant 6) pull the work line and new pendant up thru the cockpit 7) attach shackle to centerboard and install cockpit fitting.
P3310131.JPG P3310132.JPG

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Thank you Brian and SV. I have ordered a new pendant and will be taking the boat out next
Wed. I am hoping after a sail on Sunday to raise the centerboard so the boat can be taken ashore....

Sep 23, 2013
Pearson 27 cedar creek
I wouldntlower the centerboard until you get the boat out and replace it.
Actually I seldom use my centerboard, boat points fine.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
While dropping the board back down after our swim the pennant frayed so badly that the line had to be taped to thin the pennant enough
I agree with the others. Get a new one and replace it soonest and don't touch it until you do.
If the pendant is fraying that quickly and badly I wouldn't even try sailing with it unless you can have it hauled with the board down as the line may part just from the added motion of sailing.
Not worth the chance of damaging the board trying to haul the boat with the CB in the down position in my opinion.
How old is the pendant? Is it fraying due to age? Is something causing it to fray?

not sure what that hole is called.
It's a through hull. It's just not through the hull in this case.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Pendant will fray at the thru hull when the board is down and the pendant is tensioned enough to vibrate like a piano string. Better to let the pendant be loose when the board is down.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I don't think anyone can tell you if you will make it through the season or not. For what it is worth I do recall replacing one on my O'Day 25 years ago, I think in the late 1980's early 90's. Used flippers and goggles as I recall. Was not too bad.