Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I am considering purchasing the forespar 406100 whisker pole from West Marine. It is the twist lock model with clamp fittings on both ends. I have the two rings on the mast (one with track) for stowing and use. Thinking at $155 this would be a fairly inexpensive way to try out whisker pole usage. The $350 heavy duty model seems overkill for a newbie like me. Are any of you guys using this device? I like wing on wing sailing and have been doing it with no pole and no preventer. I am trying to get a little safer and more professional with this technique. We do not have a code zero or spinnaker and can't afford one anytime soon.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You'll love using a whisker pole. W-n-W is no fun without one. Ours is very similar, Forespar 6-12', with spike/clamp. Totally happy with it, except that the end you twist to lock/unlock it is at the OUTBOARD end, meaning you have to remove the thing to adjust its length! Not sure why the heck it was made that way.

As for a preventer, we just unhook the vang from the mast step, stretch it out, and hook it onto the appropriate stanchion base. Works like a champ.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Great idea on vang use. I have snap shackles so that will be easy to move when needed. I think I'm going for the fore spar with the clamps on both ends. That will allow me to store it on the mast.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
Storing on the mast is a must. Fetching that dang thing out of the bowels of your boat every time you need it - and putting it back afterward - gets old QUICK. We have two padeyes on the mast, one high, one low; the spike goes in the upper one and the clamp hooks onto the lower.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
We're heading to Keys for a week in June. Putting in around Marathon and easing to Key West. A & B a Marina is only place with a slip available. Expensive but we want convenience and showers/bathroom.

Any suggestions on Marathon boat ramp? Places to stop with the boat? Snorkel must stops.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015

Spent Saturday and Sunday on the water after a brutal nine days at work. Breezy single handed sail Saturday with just the new Genoa. Anchored at Lands End in the North shore to shelter from high north winds during the night. Moved to Shell Island side for breakfast and beach hike.

Sunday sail was under full main and Genoa. First time I've single handed with main up. As a special treat there was a regatta going on in St Andrews bay. Beautiful sight. Amazingly a giant Hattaras fishing vessel plowed right through the race course. Unbelievable.

A great weekend to rest and recover. Wish the wife could have been there.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
We're heading to Keys for a week in June. Putting in around Marathon and easing to Key West. A & B a Marina is only place with a slip available. Expensive but we want convenience and showers/bathroom.

Any suggestions on Marathon boat ramp? Places to stop with the boat? Snorkel must stops.

Lane
You could reach out to Allen-Deckard, he lives in Marathon. From the research I've done, places to launch and park - especially park - are friggin' SCARCE down there. When we were planning to launch from KW and sail out to the Tortugas, the best I could do was reserve a spot at a campground, where we could launch and leave the truck and trailer. (That trip has not come to fruition yet, sadly).

Soo, sailor ... you wanna see pics of MY dingy?? LMAO

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Our Florida Keys trip is just around the corner. Lee and I brought Hoosier Daddy up from Panama City, FL a few weeks ago. I have been spending my free time getting some more projects done on the boat. I installed a shore power plug and ran it to a 110 volt box and a permanently installed marine quality battery charger. Now we can have 110 volts on board and charge our battery while docked. We also bought some blue water rated inflatable PFD's from West Marine. The trailer got one new tire and four new valve stems. I also reinforced some rusty spots on the trailer by welding patches on the uprights.

We leave Georgia on the 4th. We'll put in at a public ramp in Marathon, Florida on the 5th. I have rented a spot at Brier's self storage for the trailer/truck. We plan to snorkel Loes and Sombreros while sailing to Key West. I have a slip at El Galeon on the 7th, 8th and 9th. This will get us close to the action while we have access to showers, water, laundry and electricity. On the 10th and 11th we sail back to Marathon where we take out and drive back to Georgia.

A full week of fun on the water. I hope we like it enough to keep doing these types of trips in the future. I have a feeling that if we like it a bigger boat will be in our future.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Packed up and headed to Marathon, FL this morning. Seven nights on the H2O with Hoosier Daddy and the wife. WX looking disappointing for early in the week. Bummer. Changed plans from Hawks Channel to Gulf Side for trip down to Key West. I'll post pictures of the adventure.

Lae

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Ducked into Marathon City Marina. Tied to mooring ball to wait out storm.

Lane

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
We had the main reefed and the Genoa fully deployed. Very nice day for sailing on Sunday. I have fallen in love with the 135 Hyde Genoa.

This morning we awoke to fog. Cooked some sausage and made our way back to the dock. A nice three days on the water! All the mods made being aboard more secure and fun. We all agree that Hoosier Daddy looks better and sails better!

Lane
Hi Lane,

Just saw this today (July 21, 2016) . The sails look great, well trimmed. The draft on the mainsail looks perfectly trimmed.
Judy B
www.HydeSailsDirect.com

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
Storing on the mast is a must. Fetching that dang thing out of the bowels of your boat every time you need it - and putting it back afterward - gets old QUICK. We have two padeyes on the mast, one high, one low; the spike goes in the upper one and the clamp hooks onto the lower.
When using the spike version, does the spike just go through the clew grommet, or how does it attach? I have only used the latch-end type, hooking onto a pigtail line between the clew and the sheets.. I would think dropping the pole would be easier with the spike. However I have to wonder whether fluky winds ever cause the pole to drop out of the sail?

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Mine has hook with sliding toggle on each end. The last few sails it's fallen out of its mast rack. I think the end hooks are too flimsy.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
When using the spike version, does the spike just go through the clew grommet, or how does it attach? I have only used the latch-end type, hooking onto a pigtail line between the clew and the sheets.. I would think dropping the pole would be easier with the spike. However I have to wonder whether fluky winds ever cause the pole to drop out of the sail?

I've never had the spike come out of the clew while sailing. I DO have a complaint that the adjustment on my whisker pole is at the OUTBOARD end, rather than the inboard end. Meaning I have to remove it from the mast, haul it in, shorten or lengthen it, then reattach it to the mast - all while praying the spike doesn't slip out of the now-flogging sail ... which it usually does. So I need to reverse those end fittings, if it can be done.

Jun 9, 2016
I've never had the spike come out of the clew while sailing. I DO have a complaint that the adjustment on my whisker pole is at the OUTBOARD end, rather than the inboard end. Meaning I have to remove it from the mast, haul it in, shorten or lengthen it, then reattach it to the mast - all while praying the spike doesn't slip out of the now-flogging sail ... which it usually does. So I need to reverse those end fittings, if it can be done.
I have seen that complaint on sites where the pole is sold. I don't know if the replacement arm half of the pole remedies that, or if it is just an equal swap. It seems someone would have thought that through...
I called CD yesterday, and they recommended the pole with the latch on both ends. Their reasoning was that with the spike, you risk putting a hole in the sail. The other thing they recommended was the upgraded, heavy duty track instead of installing two pad eyes. If I ever want to fly a spinnaker (and who doesn't?) that makes sense. But given I have a hard time finding crew to begin with, much less keeping someone long enough to trust to fly a chute with, I don't know whether it is worth the money at this point.
The point about the weakness of the latches is well taken. When I talked to the guy at CD we talked about the latches, plastic parts, etc... He said he had been using one on his boat for years without problems, but they sold replacements. I'd rather have metal parts, but I'd rather not have a 3x price tag too.

Jun 9, 2016
Gene and all who use the forespar pole: 1) instead of storing on the mast, couldn't you hang it from the lifeline? I can see one argument being "yes, but if the latch fails, there goes your pole". And 2), and probably more important to a newer sailor like me; is whether the cheaper model is robust and forgiving enough. I'd rather not spend an extra $200, but I'd also not like to fold up a pole either.

Sep 30, 2013
Sure, you could hang it from the lifeline. Personal preference.

Personally, I think it looks better on the mast (it kinda just "disappears"), but more importantly, I feel it can be put in and out of use more easily and safely from there. I'm more comfortable standing on the cabin top than crouched at the toe rail.

Again, just personal preference though.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
The last few times I've been storing mine under cockpit. While stored on mast it came unclipped and went swimming. We circled back around and used flashlight to find it.

Lane